Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Wall Street Journal reports that Indiana diesel engine supplier Cummins will pay $2.1m in civil penalties for violations of the Clean Air Act. The EPA and the Justice Department complaint alleges that Cummins shipped 570k heavy-duty diesel engines to OEM customers between 1998 and 2006 without the emissions-control systems that make them Clean Air Act-compliant. It’s not even clear clear that the crud-controlling gear is missing. The paperwork is. Cummins spokesfolks admit that 405 (or about .7 percent) of those engines never received documentation that shows they were fitted with the appropriate emissions-control systems. This is particularly embarrassing for Energy Secretary Steven Chu, who recently gave Cummins $54m in Recovery Act grants intended to improve truck efficiency and emissions, and called the firm “the leader in clean-diesel manufacturing.”

By Edward Niedermeyer on February 23, 2010

More: EPA Fines Cummins $2.1m For Unclean Diesels on New Car Reviews, Ratings & Pricing, Auto News for New Models

·
Diesel Junkie
5,900 Posts
what parts were missing ? i didnt think any of those
trucks actually had emissions equipment.. ?

Sounds like it was more of a documentation issue more than anything.:doh:

gota love the EPA:banghead:

·
Sasquatch
3,626 Posts
da EPA said:
Violations:
The settlement resolves an enforcement action for Clean Air Act (CAA) violations involving Cummins’ shipment of over 570,000 engines to Chrysler and other vehicle original-equipment manufacturers without the exhaust after-treatment devices (ATDs) required by the applicable certificate of conformity for these engines. ATDs are devices that control engine exhaust emissions once the emissions have exited the engine and entered the exhaust system. Typical ATDs include catalytic converters and diesel particulate filters.

Section 203 of the CAA, 42 U.S.C. § 7522, prohibits motor vehicle manufacturers from introducing into commerce engines that are not covered by an EPA-approved certificate of conformity. These certificates are issued to ensure that specific configurations of engines, with specific emission controls, meet federal emission standards.
Are we still talking about the 1998-2006 motors? What after-treatment do they use?:confused013:

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
I'm pretty sure that cali emissions trucks in all those years had a cat though I could be mistaken. I know for sure all trucks 04.5+ got them.

·
Registered
341 Posts
the day has been saved by the lawyers and bureaucrats once again! We can all breath cleaner air because cummins will have filled out the proper paperwork and the gov took 2.1 mil of the 54mil back.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Good ole EPA, I guess this was a way to round up a few dollars for them. But no hard evidence is the kicker. At least the money can keep a couple of there worms employed in this bad economy.:doh:

·
Registered
38 Posts
If I had Mr. Obama's job the first thing I would do is get rid of the EPA. It's cost to business (and taxpayers) far outweighs it's environmental usefulness.

·
Second Most Important Member
1,760 Posts
how can there be missing paperwork for emmisions equipment that didnt exist, other then a cat:confused013:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Maybe they have to emissions test each of them or somthing before they send em out

·
Boiler up!
2,451 Posts
its all about the money, the epa and carb dont care about the emissions, they care about money like everyone else...and if they can find somewhere where you didnt cross a t or dot an i....BAM payday for the epa

·
Registered
715 Posts
All it was, was missing paperwork stating that the engines had the proper emissions equipment on them... what a load of BS

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Before Cummins took bailout money they spent 25 million dollars to bail out a bank.
Cummins didn't give Irwin bank $25 million. They provided standby commitment. Meaning that Cummins would provide them with money if they needed it. Irwin only needed about 10 of it.

Cummins didn't take ANY bail-out money. The
grant that Cummins recieved was
intended to improve truck efficiency and emissions

·
Registered
28 Posts
Emissions is a load of bs. All it does is rob power and if you ask me, our air was cleaner before they became Nazis about clean air. Global warming wasn't a problem back in the 70's when they were all driving big gas guzzling muscle cars so why are our SO MUCH MORE EFFICIENT ENGINES causing such an environmental problem? Can anyone else see that the EPA is pointless and so is emissions control?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Emissions is a load of bs. All it does is rob power and if you ask me, our air was cleaner before they became Nazis about clean air. Global warming wasn't a problem back in the 70's when they were all driving big gas guzzling muscle cars so why are our SO MUCH MORE EFFICIENT ENGINES causing such an environmental problem? Can anyone else see that the EPA is pointless and so is emissions control?
My thoughts exactly. I take the cat off every vehicle I get... It then gets better gas mileage.... Imagine that.

And there is no gloBULL warming epidemic....the earths climate is in a constant state of change.. the climate has been going up and down for billions of years.. The earth will warm up a bit, then cool down a bit...process repeats itself over and over.. The only reason people say humans had any effect on it is to make money off it... Emissions....EPA.... Seriously...the emissions humans have made in all the machinery, vehicles, plants....everything combined for the past 100 years..... now compare that to the output of 1 volcano..... Exactly my point... the earths recovered from multiple volcanos.....us humans have about as much impact on it as an ant farting 3 miles away from my house will have on what im watching on TV tonight...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Diesels aren't meant to have so much restrictive things on them. Once you start restricting their power you are taking the whole point out of a truck meant to be powerful and pull heavy things. Our cummins doesn't have anything restrictive. Straight pipe, no particulate filter or cat. Runs like a a beauty if you can get it to start.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts