Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

· Registered
2005 3500 Dually 4x4 8 foot bed Patriot Blue AT 48re Torson LSD 3.73 gears
1,384 Posts
You may be right, but I believe it would go a long way in keeping ones self "off the radar" so to speak.

It's all very frustrating. Consider this. Within a year or 3 there will no longer be external emissions on many diesel engines. They have the technology and the engines are proving it can be done, while meeting EPA standards. Within a decade the era of external EGR pickups will be viewed as bad vehicles to buy altogether. Basically any 6.7 Dodge will be viewed as a red headed step child, who would want to deal with those problems?

Where could we have gotten had the industry focused the billions spent on R&D for a tailpipe test, instead on increasing effeciency? "Footprint" is so much bigger than a tailpipe. And diesel road truck engines, all of them, is such a miniscule contributor to the "problem". It's all very frustrating.
Yes Sandia researchers, group discovered the way to eliminate soot and NO from diesel exhaust using a major injector nozzle redesign. It is so good, no external controls. EGR, DPF, DEF etc... are needed. I read about it 2 years ago.
OF COURSE the GREEN GOONS still wont like it because they consider co2 a poisonous gas, and they want all IC engines eliminated. They will happily take away your truck, car, boat, without remorse. They also do not want so many people driving around using up energy. One goal of theirs is to make energy prices skyrocket so fewer folk can do that. They also dont like cows and are promoting BUG burgers now.
Diesel engines without soot, that's the promise of a new fuel-injection design (yahoo.com)

· Registered
34 Posts
It's none of the Government's G-D business what I do to any of my vehicles. This is nothing more than an overt power grab and an attempt to control the American population. The EPA's onerous, ever-changing regulations are a clear attempt at severely curtailing America's reliance on fossil fuels, and an attempt at moving us all to "clean" electric vehicles. Never-mind that electricity will come from COAL-fired electrical plants, since solar and wind clearly can't cut it (as perfectly illustrated recently during Snowmageddon in N. TX), or that lithium mining for the batteries that will power everything is an environmental nightmare. Electricity, and the vulnerable grids that supply it are not the answer, but they're too heavily invested to turn back now. What a joke.

· Registered
17,800 Posts
Maybe. Flip side is too many people are to stupid to self regulate. And without someone tell the morons what not to do they ruin it for the reasonable people, like blowing plumes of smoke in every open car window they see or blackening out every intersection. Some people cant see that wrong because they like it and screw everyone else. Not saying everything the govt does or how they do it is right. Also all for letting Darwin take out the idiots but sadly blowing smoke wont take them out fast enough.

· Registered
85 Posts
I wonder how many on this forum own a muscle car and have changed out the engine for a late model engine, or ditched the FACTORY carb(s) for efi? All that is NOT legal even though those vehicles may not have to get any emissions testing. Oh, your Chevelle was born with a 350 but it now has an LS7, that slant 6 was replaced with a Hell Cat, that 289 is now a sporting a Coyote? You know very well that the emissions that came on those late model vehicles are not on the Vintage vehicles. Just saying.....,
You must meet the emissions of the car for its production year. So you can put an LS7 in with all emissions equipment removed as long as it pollutes less than that stock 350. Technically every muscle car with headers and an aftermarket exhaust is illegal according to this same EPA but when was the last time you saw an exhaust shop get shut down for working on a muscle car, or saw a cop pull over a classic car to check if the EGR was in place.

We can make progress on climate change without putting shops out of business or killing a hobby for normal people, I wish they would just put their efforts where it would actually make a dent.

· Toyota and Cummins Nut!
1,443 Posts
It’s the same. We all watch tv shows that show how to install a late model engines, no different than people saying what and where they got done to their truck(s). It’s not apples to oranges, it’s the same fruit.
That later model engine swap is actually legal in my state and I'd bet you a carb'd 350 Chevelle from 1969 will have much more emissions than the later model LS3 with fuel injected replacement engine and more power.

Heck, Cummins actually makes a 4 cylinder diesel engine as a direct replacement for a older gas powered Jeep, a complete drop in replacement, called "Cummins Repower"

Reactions: 5.7 Hemi

· Registered
19 Posts
big story in The NY Times today

excerpt:

In November, the E.P.A.’s Office of Enforcement and Compliance issued a study that found pollution controls had been removed from 550,000 diesel trucks over a 10-year period. The modified trucks spewed 1980s levels of contaminants, sending an avoidable 570,000 tons of nitrogen oxides and 5,000 tons of particulate matter into the air, the study said.
Essentially, it found that America has a problem with do-it-yourself dirty diesels.

Actions against emissions tampering may increase beyond California and the E.P.A. In Utah, an environmental group successfully sued the men who host the Discovery show “Diesel Brothers,” establishing a template for others to follow.
The suit was brought by Utah Physicians for a Healthy Environment, which holds “Clean Air No Excuses” rallies at the State Capitol in Salt Lake City. At one rally, “we had three or four coal rollers drive around the perimeter of the Capitol,” said Dr. Brian Moench, president of physicians group. “They were quite proud of themselves, putting out these blankets of black smoke.”
Soon after, the group was approached by Reed Zars, an environmental lawyer who suggested a citizen suit against mobile polluters, which appears to be a first. “We were still — I don’t know if I can use the word seething — about the coal rollers when he approached us,” Dr. Moench said.
The resulting suit awarded the physician group more than $851,000 in civil penalties, which goes to the federal government, as if the E.P.A. had won the case. Legal fees of more than $915,000 were also awarded to the group, which has filed another suit since, and said it was preparing to file others.

· Registered
31 Posts
It’s not just the diesel world getting hit, the gasser world is hitting hit too. Trying to locate a Megan Racing exhaust kit and header for my eclipse is next to impossible now. Found a couple being sold but going for massive massive markup pricing.
That is because no one is making them any more. I have called around to several shops that used to sell or even make them and no one is supporting them anymore. As they say; no Money in a 30+ yr old car that most are trashed. It has nothing to do with EPA. What is out there is all that's left. I have a 1992 40k mile Eagle Talon and have played hell finding a downpipe of any size. Cat-back and Cats can be found all over for now!

And no they are not cracking down on Gasser companies as hard either. I know of 3 major players in that arena that haven't had an issue one and have been doing if for years and we all know their names. Probably even have some of their products even on diesels. They did go after 1 that I am associated with and it was kind of a joke. I had to state that my vehicle was used as a race only vehicle (which it was) so I could keep my full access to my software, and take some 30-45 min BS emissions training online. End of EPA BS!! Life back to normal on my Gasser.

· Registered
791 Posts
You must meet the emissions of the car for its production year. So you can put an LS7 in with all emissions equipment removed as long as it pollutes less than that stock 350. Technically every muscle car with headers and an aftermarket exhaust is illegal according to this same EPA but when was the last time you saw an exhaust shop get shut down for working on a muscle car, or saw a cop pull over a classic car to check if the EGR was in place.

We can make progress on climate change without putting shops out of business or killing a hobby for normal people, I wish they would just put their efforts where it would actually make a dent.
Depends. Some states require that the emissions from the year engine be transfered along with the engine. While the tailpipe emissions levels may not change, all of the other equipment would have to. Part of how Cali went after all the builders of street rods in the 90's.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
using Tapatalk

· Mountain Man Customs
3,006 Posts
I believe that one of the goals behind shutting down petroleum based fuels is that, as a direct result of the availablity of gasoline and diesel everywhere, self sufficiency is EASY. Yes we depend on the fuel. But the fuel allows anyone to be able to afford to log a property, build a homestead, and live life self sufficiently instead of depending the government and society's systems. All that while keeping the modern luxerious standard of living that we are accustomed to.

Remove the fuel availability and we are back to swinging axes and pushing hand saws around, dragging a plow behind a donkey, etc.

4,475 Posts
Remove the fuel availability and we are back to swinging axes and pushing hand saws around, dragging a plow behind a donkey, etc.

My thoughts are that electric cars, electric trucks, electric buses, electric tractors, electric everything will be the future.
At home we will have electric chain saws, electric lawn mowers, electric tools, electric heat, electric everything.

Tons of charging stations everywhere. Towns, cities, highways, rural roads, truck stops, everywhere.
At home we will be tripping over power cords, batteries, battery chargers, everywhere.

Will this save the planet? Of course not. IMO, it's not about saving the planet. That's hard to do.
It's about APPEARING to save the planet.

Every time I hear the phrase, "zero emission electric car/truck/bus/etc", I just laugh.

3,439 Posts
My thoughts are that electric cars, electric trucks, electric buses, electric tractors, electric everything will be the future.
At home we will have electric chain saws, electric lawn mowers, electric tools, electric heat, electric everything.

Tons of charging stations everywhere. Towns, cities, highways, rural roads, truck stops, everywhere.
At home we will be tripping over power cords, batteries, battery chargers, everywhere.

Will this save the planet? Of course not. IMO, it's not about saving the planet. That's hard to do.
It's about APPEARING to save the planet.

Every time I hear the phrase, "zero emission electric car/truck/bus/etc", I just laugh.
I agree, if the "green energy" was a viable alternative it wouldn't need 100's of millions of tax dollars to subsidize it. That latest documentary from Micheal Moore debunks the Renewable Energy scam. All it does is make the rich richer and poor poorer.

· Registered
17,800 Posts
The suit was brought by Utah Physicians for a Healthy Environment, which holds “Clean Air No Excuses” rallies at the State Capitol in Salt Lake City. At one rally, “we had three or four coal rollers drive around the perimeter of the Capitol,” said Dr. Brian Moench, president of physicians group. “They were quite proud of themselves, putting out these blankets of black smoke.”
Just shows stupid people make stupud choices. Because the can. People need to the learn that just because you can doesnt mean you should. With this type of behavior we as a society are doomed. This behavior can be seen in many places not just emission discussions.

Stupid people are on both sides of this. There are those that believe when they are told their electric care is zero emissions it is actually zero. They dont care enough to learn anything about how the car was built or how its dealt with after the junk it.

· Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
18,403 Posts
Just shows stupid people make stupud choices. Because the can. People need to the learn that just because you can doesnt mean you should. With this type of behavior we as a society are doomed. This behavior can be seen in many places not just emission discussions.

Stupid people are on both sides of this. There are those that believe when they are told their electric care is zero emissions it is actually zero. They dont care enough to learn anything about how the car was built or how its dealt with after the junk it.
It's pretty simple, when there are issues with your electric vehicle you do what every normal person does. You put an LS V8 in it.

· Registered
3,310 Posts
Get a job where don't drive daily, and you'll free up enough time to work on your own vehicle personally. (No shops doing illegal work!)

Then you won't have to repair/maintain as much because of the far-fewer miles you put on. Also less emissions (overall) due to less miles. Oh, and your vehicle lasts longer because you drive less.

It's not an emissions problem. It's a consumer problem.

· Registered
2005 3500 Dually 4x4 8 foot bed Patriot Blue AT 48re Torson LSD 3.73 gears
1,384 Posts
Joe Biden’s Green Energy Mirage

President Biden recently announced ambitious plans to install huge offshore industrial wind facilities along America’s Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico and Pacific coasts. His goal is to churn out 30 gigawatts (30,000 megawatts) of wind capacity by 2030, ensuring the U.S. “leads by example” in fighting the “climate crisis.”

Granted “30 by 2030” is clever PR. But what are the realities?

The only existing U.S. offshore wind operation features five 6-MW turbines off Rhode Island. Their combined capacity (what they could generate if they worked full-bore, round the clock 24/7) is 30 MW. Mr. Biden is planning 1,000 times more offshore electricity, perhaps split three ways: 10,000 MW for each coast.

While that might sound impressive, it isn’t. It means total wind capacity for the entire Atlantic coast, under Biden’s plan, would only meet three-fourths of the peak summertime electricity needed to power New York City. Again, this assumes the blades are fully spinning 24/7. In reality, such turbines would be lucky to be operating a top capacity half the time. Even less as storms and salt spray corrode the turbines, year after year.

· Registered
12,298 Posts
Hack here but Biden needs to evacuate every Afgani who helped us over there especially the interpreters. No GI leaves until these families are on the planes instead of windmills and more handouts for people that don't work.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.