Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 12-count federal criminal indictment made public Thursday alleges that the shop's specialty work during the past three years included the illegal tampering of emission-monitoring systems on hundreds of diesel pickup trucks in violation of the federal Clean Air Act.

· Mountain Man Customs
3,006 Posts
I learned to weld in their previous shop location, in Puyallup, before it was RPM NW. Worked for a guy in his fabrication shop, called Perkins Performance. Wish I could track him down and thank him for what he taught me.

Seems like it would be a good time to close up shop if you're an owner who could be in trouble for this sort of thing. Before they come sniffing.

· Red Rider
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Crew Cab & Chassis 4X4
17,629 Posts
Seems like it would be a good time to close up shop if you're an owner who could be in trouble for this sort of thing. Before they come sniffing.
Just because someone “closes shop” doesn‘t mean the EPA still won’t come after ya.

· Premium Member
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 68RFE 4 inch lift
3,393 Posts
I wonder how many on this forum own a muscle car and have changed out the engine for a late model engine, or ditched the FACTORY carb(s) for efi? All that is NOT legal even though those vehicles may not have to get any emissions testing. Oh, your Chevelle was born with a 350 but it now has an LS7, that slant 6 was replaced with a Hell Cat, that 289 is now a sporting a Coyote? You know very well that the emissions that came on those late model vehicles are not on the Vintage vehicles. Just saying.....,

· Registered
17,800 Posts
Apples and oranges. Breakingthe law is breaking the law. You do what ever you want but spreading it on open forum is dumb. Giving the names of the shop that did the work is also dumb. And puts a target on their back. If people kept stuff off the easily accessible to anyone internet there would likely be more shops open and less buzz around this. Just because you can doesnt always mean you should. A little common sense and self preservation goes a long way. Just saying...

· Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
18,403 Posts
I'm just waiting for the EPA to go after igottacummins.com It's sad to hear about the more local shops getting hit by them, realistically in terms of pollution they would be better off going after big corporations that pollute a lot more then trucks do, however it's easier and cheaper to go after smaller shops that don't have multi million dollar massive law firms on retainer... Heard the guy the got hit time was a pretty good guy, liked helping people and enjoying life. Now he is likely going to face prison sentences and bankruptcy.

· Sasquatch
3,788 Posts
I'm just waiting for the EPA to go after igottacummins.com It's sad to hear about the more local shops getting hit by them, realistically in terms of pollution they would be better off going after big corporations that pollute a lot more then trucks do, however it's easier and cheaper to go after smaller shops that don't have multi million dollar massive law firms on retainer... Heard the guy the got hit time was a pretty good guy, liked helping people and enjoying life. Now he is likely going to face prison sentences and bankruptcy.
Fortunately, prison sentences are given for these types of violations. The ones who earn prison sentences are from crimes committed when trying to cover it up. The level of the fine is dependant upon how the person cooperates.

The goal isn't to cause financial ruin, it's to get as many vehicles back into compliance and stop further tampering. If the person cooperates and puts forward good faith into reaching out to customers and tries to restore as many as possible, and gives the info back on the vehicles that couldn't be reached, the fine is usually pretty palatable (sometimes under 5 grand). The ones that put up resistance are the ones who have a bad time.

There's one owner that's trying to fight and is going so far that they created dozens of fake spam websites that target search terms related to anything of their crimes. That person will see some massive fines if they lose. Some people just like to dig their own grave deeper and deeper.

· Registered
1,421 Posts
It’s not just the diesel world getting hit, the gasser world is hitting hit too. Trying to locate a Megan Racing exhaust kit and header for my eclipse is next to impossible now. Found a couple being sold but going for massive massive markup pricing.

· Mountain Man Customs
3,006 Posts
Just because someone “closes shop” doesn‘t mean the EPA still won’t come after ya.
You may be right, but I believe it would go a long way in keeping ones self "off the radar" so to speak.

It's all very frustrating. Consider this. Within a year or 3 there will no longer be external emissions on many diesel engines. They have the technology and the engines are proving it can be done, while meeting EPA standards. Within a decade the era of external EGR pickups will be viewed as bad vehicles to buy altogether. Basically any 6.7 Dodge will be viewed as a red headed step child, who would want to deal with those problems?

Where could we have gotten had the industry focused the billions spent on R&D for a tailpipe test, instead on increasing effeciency? "Footprint" is so much bigger than a tailpipe. And diesel road truck engines, all of them, is such a miniscule contributor to the "problem". It's all very frustrating.

· Registered
5,474 Posts
I’m assuming (maybe hoping?) as more and more commuters go electric over the next couple years, our diesel trucks will start to fall off the radar.

Reactions: 968673

· Admin/Mod
I Still Know Nothing
3,722 Posts
I always wondered how people think that using more fuel, decreasing useable life, and increasing plastic waste (DEF jugs anyone?) are all acceptable to decrease tailpipe emissions. Then again, people are getting dumber and dumber every day....

Really, if new diesels came with no EGR, no DEF, and a couple nox/particulate cats with a mandated 10 year emissions warranty, people wouldn’t have a real reason to delete...

Alas, soon diesels and the even the entire USA will be in great decline... soon truckers will be replaced with self driving electric trucks, pilots replaced with self flying aircraft, diesel and gas will be outlawed, hell even common jobs will be replaced with highly automated machines...

It’s starting too. Local Walmart replaced all cashiers with self checkouts, restaurant chains have been testing computers on the table, ADSB is first step toward automated flying, Dems keep pushing NGD and outlaw of gas and diesel... this is just the beginning.

The way I see it, people will be poor, and big brother will try to save the day with the wonderful idea of UBI...🤮

Where’s the Tylenol?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.