Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I got my 2017 CCSB on July 4th. (God Bless America) I have been looking into he best way to warm up this engine. I have been reading very different opinions on what is good or not. I just want to know which is worse for this stock engine. Let it idle till it reaches 140 coolant and 120 oil temps roughly or driving it cold? By cold I mean 100 degree range(no cold weather here). I live in an area with a lot of hills and don't have the option to baby it until it reaches operating temps. Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Drive it
just dont punch it until your temps are140+ ..
In colder climate a winter front helps .
Plugging in the block heater helps ...
Did i leave out anything. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lins

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks. I live in wonderful sunny socal so I opted away from the cold weather package. No winter front and no plug. When I get up for work at 2AM it has been in the 70-80 range for the last few weeks. So needless to say it is far from cold. I just want to try and do the least amount of damage possible. I hope to have this beast for the next 10+ years. Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Agree with Ratdog1. I just drive it easy and it's usually up to temp (or close) by the time it gets to the highway, then all bets are off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
ya, you don't need much warm up time in that climate. start it, and drive it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yep, start it, wait maybe 30 seconds for the oil to circulate, and go. Just don't drive aggressively if you don't have to.

Reactions: on the ridge

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
If I don't get in and drive my truck it will never warm up in winter. So I drive it. Just like my 97 with over 800,000 on it now. What's to hurt? Idling it and causing wet stacking and fuel dilution in your oil will.

·
Clayton @ Dude's Diesel Performance
3,662 Posts
Agreed with above said. I get in and drive it. Like stated I personally wait until full operating temps before punching it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,552 Posts
If it has oil pressure, drive it. You do not even have to wait for wait to start grid heaters above below freezing.

·
Premium Member
2,474 Posts
I usually hit the remote start before I get to the truck. By the time I get in and buckle up and ready to roll, it's been idling for 30-60 seconds or so.
No need to over worry on the engine warm up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah just drive it to warm it up. Just don't drive her hard till she's warmed up to operating temps. Now for the other end of the spectrum, don't forget to let to let it cool down a bit before shutting it off. lol.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Perfect. I have been letting her idle for about two minutes to cool down after my drive home. Like I said before I'm new to this Diesel engine and don't want to be the cause of any unnecessary damage. Thanks to all for your input. Safe travels.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I've never done a cool down.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
For fast warm up, start it turn on exhaust brake and turn on idle up feature. When oil temp reaches 140 there is no engine back down and full power is ready.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Is there a way to idle up on the manual?
What is the harm in not cooling down?

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
Coking of the oil inside the turbo bearings from excessive heat that has not rid yet. Example: Exhaust is above 400 from a good pull. You may have 6-700 degrees of heat soak. You shut down engine, oil stops flowing and starts to pick up that heat. There now is a chance for a chemical change with your oil on those hot surfaces.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Is there a way to idle up on the manual?
What is the harm in not cooling down?
Depends what your deleted with.
I don't think any factory option but minni maxx and possibly others have high idle settings.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts