Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Engine Swap

719 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  BBRam
Hey guys this feels like it's a never ending battle. I have been posting on this for awhile now and heres were I'm at. I bought a engine out of a 03 (manufacturing date on engine 10/20/02) that had an auto tranny. I swapped over several parts from my engine to new one except for the bell housing plate (seemed to be identical). Put engine in, everything bolted up (tranny, etc) went to put starter in and it won't go in. Is there some difference in the starter holes? They measure the same, but is the plate from the auto trannys starter hole offset alittle diffferent then the manual tranny? What a nightmare this is turning into. At this point it looks like we are going to have to pull the engine back out, seeing how luckily we didn't get everything hooked up before we noticed the starter did'nt fit, and change bell housing plates. Now, on the other hand, the engine I purchased had the apps on the side of the valve cover, and mine is under the driver battery tray. I removed the apps from the new engine and was planning on just using mine under the tray. The only issue I see here is that the wire from the apps is now just dangling there, and there is no plug from my harness to hook to it. Has anyone done this before? Should I take the harness off of my old engine and put it on the new one? I did'nt want to have to do that but I may have to unless there is another way around this. Sorry for the long post, but I am frustrated and could use all of your guys help. Thanks again
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4,266 Posts
are teh bellhousing casting marks the same. they should be the same as 03 to 05 had the same rear housing as Dodge calls it and the mounts are the same. starter is the same from 03 to 07. maybe the started nose cone needs to be rotated or clocked differently.

· Registered
149 Posts
the engine harness is different from auto to manual and year to year. so yes you have to change the harness back to the one that come off your truck. along with the ecm, turbo, fuel system, and most the sensors depending on what year your truck is. i got a 04.5 engine for my 03 swap and there are alot of different parts and part numbers.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As stated in my profile my truck is an 03. The engine I have is also an 03. The plates look exactly the same, except there were two holes on the opposite side from the starter that were uncovered on the engine I bought, but my bell housing plate had a steel cover over them that I swapped. Why would they off set the starter hole? I am going to try and put the starter in again today, and if it still won't go I will have to swap plates. Since the engines are basically the same year is it really necessary to swap harnesses? Any more help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

· Premium Member
19,670 Posts
The auto adapter on back of the engine must be used with an auto and the manual with a manual. If not, the starter will not work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.