Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have two trucks. A 1998.5 4x4 and a 2001. 4x4. The 98 was wrecked and only had 50,000 miles on it. My dad wrecked it and bent the frame then began to do a frame swap, he bought a brand new frame and transfered the rear end over and that as far as he got.so the truck has sat for a few years and is in pieces.
Then a month or two ago I bought the 01 to be my truck, it had 287000 miles but it was the right price so I bought it. Since then I've put a good 2500 miles on it. But as I was driving home today I noticed that it was accelerateing strange and seemed a bit bumpy. Then as I was climbing a big hill to get home then I lost acceleration entirly and was able to coast to a side road where I called my buddy with a wrecker. So I'm in need of a tranny rebuild.
Now to my question. Can I take out the 98.5 engine,tranny,and transfercase and swap it into my 2001?? Would I also have to swap wiring harnesses? Because it would make sense to use that 50000 mile drivetrain compared to the other one. But please let me know if I can do this because id really like to get this done in the next couple monthsif its possible. I hope to find some answers here.
Thanks guys,
Tyler-

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
I presume the 98.5 has a 5 speed in it? The major difference is the 98.5 has a cam & crank sensor and if it is a late 01 it for sure don't have a crank sensor. If you are swapping everything it's not a problem but I think you are going to swap all the cab wiring harnesses too which is a huge job, I basically in a round about way did the same thing with my 98.5, except I put everything from a wrecked 02 in my 98.5 and it seemed like nothing was the same when it came to wiring harnesses. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any particular questions. I've been there.

Reactions: 98dodge4x4

·
Premium Member
12,050 Posts
There is another thread on this forum about a guy that has been trying to straignten his vehicle out for serveral months after this was done and orginal owner sold uiit in disgust. Such could be your luck..
The tranny from 98.5 will work if you put the 01 internal electronics. Assuming both are autos.
The transfer case will work, but check shaft size and spline count...
At minimum the 01 engine would need the crankshaft and camshaft from the 98.5 plus all the sensors. There may be more...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok, so I have two trucks. A 1998.5 4x4 and a 2001. 4x4. The 98 was wrecked and only had 50,000 miles on it. My dad wrecked it and bent the frame then began to do a frame swap, he bought a brand new frame and transfered the rear end over and that as far as he got.so the truck has sat for a few years and is in pieces.
Then a month or two ago I bought the 01 to be my truck, it had 287000 miles but it was the right price so I bought it. Since then I've put a good 2500 miles on it. But as I was driving home today I noticed that it was accelerateing strange and seemed a bit bumpy. Then as I was climbing a big hill to get home then I lost acceleration entirly and was able to coast to a side road where I called my buddy with a wrecker. So I'm in need of a tranny rebuild.
Now to my question. Can I take out the 98.5 engine,tranny,and transfercase and swap it into my 2001?? Would I also have to swap wiring harnesses? Because it would make sense to use that 50000 mile drivetrain compared to the other one. But please let me know if I can do this because id really like to get this done in the next couple monthsif its possible. I hope to find some answers here.
Thanks guys,
Tyler-
Im the one doing the fix on the 99 to 02 engine I bought the truck this way working on it now with I can keep you posted on how its going If you have a stick it will be somwhat easier

·
Registered
442 Posts
Actually if hes puttin a 98.5 motor in the 01, he wouldnt need to swap cranks. The 98.5 with the tone wheel wont hurt anything, he just wont hook up the crank sensor when he hangs is 01 harness on the engine.
He would need to swap cams. If you dont want to bother pulling the cam out of your 01 I have one with 90K miles on it I will sell ya.

And I would transfer over all the sensors as well. It will be apparant which ones you need, because the plugs will be different and your 01 harness wont plug in.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Don't need to swap the cam as much as the cam gear. I do know the sensor location is about a 1/4" off between the 2 also which means you should swap the front case, I don't know if that is a must or not, I just know when I was in that far doing the cam gear I got to comparing the 2 cases and the position of the sensor was definitely about a 1/4 " difference. I opted to change the case at that point because I didn't want to have to go back in there and do it all over again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the advice everyone, and also thanks sled wrecker ill make sure to let you know if i have any questions. but yes both trucks are autos. but if im gong to have to swap the entire harness. now this maybe a bit much. but what if i was to just swap my cabs? I would put the 98.5 cab on the 01 frame. it souldnt be too difficult. the most difficult part i think would be to put my engines plumming connected back to the cab. because obviously the engine tranny and transfercase themselves will fit in my truck its just the electrical is where i would have the problem and i know if I was to do the cab swap I i would be able to do most of it myself but when it comes to the plumming it where I become clueless. wiring has never been my specialty but it should work....keyword should. what do yall think? would the cab swap be worth it. i would like to get this truck going again by summer for sure.
or the rebuild kits for my 2 transmissions are the same for the 98 and the 01 trannys i may just be able to take apart both trannys and make one good tranny out of the two. im on a uber-tight buget by the way so im trying to work with what i have. but if i want a truck that will last me a while then it may be worth it to go through with the engine swap.

-tyler

1 - 7 of 7 Posts