Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving down the road i pulled out to pass a car and got on the throttle and engine shut off and i lost all power, check engine light came on and will not restart, fuel filter is new, and read codes out and it threw a P1689,P1688,P0252. Any good info is appreciated. My dodge is a 1999 2500 with 251673 miles on it.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Code definitions:

P0252-FUEL INJECTION PUMP FUEL VALVE STUCK
P1688-INTERNAL FUEL INJECTION PUMP CONTROLLER FAILURE
P1689-NO COMM BETWEEN ECM & INJECTION PUMP MODULE

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? If so, what was your fuel pressure prior to the truck dying?

Bottom line, it sounds like the VP44 cavitated and is now air locked. Bleed the 1,3,5 hard fuel lines at the head and see if that helps matters...

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
No i do not have a pressure guage, if i can get one where do i need to get a pressure reading from?
Uh oh. Not to jump to the gun, but I'm afraid the damage has been done and the VP44 may be toast...

First things first. Since you have no fuel pressure gauge, am I correct in assuming that you are still running the stock lift pump?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea i was afraid it may have hurt the injection pump. Yes the stock lift pump is still installed. also i pulled the fuel filter out and in the bottom of the resivoir there were a couple little slivers of shiny metal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Got a fuel pressure guage and got the pressure....lift pump only kicks on when u touch the starter, which i think is normal has always been that way since i have had the truck. At first the guage read a constant 14 PSI then for a couple tries the PSI went as high as 22 and that was when i tried cranking the engine to start. I also put the gauge on the outlet side to the ejector and it read a constant 14 PSI as well. And after clearing codes and reading them again the P1688 still shows up...so im assuming that the VP44 has gone bad?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
yea just cuz your getting 14psi at idle well i guess you can call it idle, the fuel pressure at WOT can be below that i believe if its under 9 or 10 it starts hurting injection pump

·
Banned
432 Posts
1688/1689 codes tell the tale........the injection pump is toast.
There are several vendors on this site that offer injection pump/aftermarket lift pump combos for a good price.

·
Registered
21,689 Posts
Yea that sounds like the VP44 electronics, rather than mechanical. In the end the same, you need a new one, just not caused by the lift pump.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.