Premium Member
16,224 Posts
Does your tach work?
Otherwise you need an oscilloscope

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope.. Tach went out sunday and i thought it was a loose connection somewhere then by the time I got home from work tuesday night my battery meter was all the way down and wouldn't start back.. First I thought it needed an alternator but combined with the tach going out too makes me think that its this sensor but wanted to make sure before i bought a new one.. Was hoping I could check it with an electric meter.
No oscilloscope though :(
Looks like I'll have to buy a new one and hope thats it.

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
PCM controlls charging and without a signal from the ESS it will not charge!

Check the wiring and double check the setting/gap on it (if the gap is too large it will not get a signal)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took it off, cleaned it, checked the connections, and that it was getting 8v to it from the truck (what the book says it needs) Then reinstalled and made sure gap was proper.. Same thing.. Ordered a new one from Auto Zone supposed to be here tuesday or wednesday.. Guess I will find out for sure then.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New ESS on.
Tach -check
Alternator -check

Back in business :D much better than putting the battery charger on when I get home so I can make it to work the next day!

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
Good to hear!
After the overflow valve my bet is the ESS is the most commonly needing replacement part on a 12 valve.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Where is the ESS located?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts