Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was driving 40 and my 2000 Cummins just shut off. When you go to crank it, it cranks but just wont turn on. Like it's not getting any fuel maybe? I have no clue, this is my first truck. My brothers a diesel mechanic but hes new at it and doesnt know what it is. If anybody can help tell me the problem it would be great!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Cycle the key 3 times and check if you have a code. It sounds like the vp took a dump do you have a lift pump on the block still? If you do have someone turn the key on while touching it if it doesn't buzz check for fuel in the filter housing. The 24v are bad for the lift pump taking out the injection pump

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did the key deal and the codes come up on the odometer. and to tell you the truth man im 16 first truck just gettin into diesel so idk.. But what do i do with the codes

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Post them on here and I or some one else can get you a describion on what they are also go to the user cp and fill out you signature with make model stick auto etc this will help others also. Also you can search the codes in the 24v forumn and probably get some hits also

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago on my 2002. I myself am 17; this is my 5th truck, but first diesel so I know how you feel. I and my mechanic both thought it was the injection pump. It turned out that when I got a new battery they broke the wire going to my factory replacement lift pump in the tank. The code you do not want is a P0216, otherwise know as the death code, injection pump failure. However as jr22 said previously the lift pumps are known to fail. Have you noticed loss of power for a little while or did the RPMs just start fluctuating the bam thats all she wrote?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago on my 2002. I myself am 17; this is my 5th truck, but first diesel so I know how you feel. I and my mechanic both thought it was the injection pump. It turned out that when I got a new battery they broke the wire going to my factory replacement lift pump in the tank. The code you do not want is a P0216, otherwise know as the death code, injection pump failure. However as jr22 said previously the lift pumps are known to fail. Have you noticed loss of power for a little while or did the RPMs just start fluctuating the bam thats all she wrote?
I ended up getting off easy, an 85 dollar tow bill and my meachanic olnly charged me an half hour later, I was back on the road and only 131 doallars. An injection pump installed will run $1680

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Post them on here and I or some one else can get you a describion on what they are also go to the user cp and fill out you signature with make model stick auto etc this will help others also. Also you can search the codes in the 24v forumn and probably get some hits also
the codes are p-0645
p-1596
p-1693
thanks for the help fellas

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

no, no loss of power at all and rpm's all the same just bam shut off

·
Registered
51 Posts
Those codes are nothing to worry about the 1693 is a companion code and I believe every single Cummins truck has it. So it is probably your lift pump, what kind do you have.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have a 2000 bone stock as well, nothing done to it at all.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just kn air intake, 162000 miles, runs steady rpm's and never noticed loss of any power. first problem ive had with the engine and got er when it had 155k

·
Registered
51 Posts
Do you know if the previous owner may have had the facory replacement done under warranty?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
P1693 is a companion code which probably 1or both of the p1596 and p0645 are stored in the jtec and cummins module. These are a/c and cruise codes. Check that lift pump then check for fuel at the filter and injection pump.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Is the void sticker cut on the connector for the injection pump

·
Registered
51 Posts
Injection pumps don’t normally fail with out a reason, i.e. no fuel. The fuel is what cools and lubricates the pump. If there is very little fuel getting to the injection pump there is not much cooling and lubricating taking place. However, the vp will pull fuel through the factory lift pump and it will eventually pull so much it will spilt the diaphragm inside. They have three typical reasons they fail, all three are a result of none or very little fuel getting to it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the previous owner was a old women haha, and idk anything but the codes for now tmrw me and me brother (diesel mechanic) are gonna see about everything.

Reactions: redneckdodgeram

·
Registered
51 Posts
the previous owner was a old women haha, and idk anything but the codes for now tmrw me and me brother (diesel mechanic) are gonna see about everything.
Lol didn’t mean to click thanks lol, anyway, typically old women are particular about automobiles and will have stuff done that needs to be done. One thing you want to check for is an aftermarket wire going to the battery on the driver’s side, which is the power for the pump in the tank. There will also be a relay/fuse close to above the fuel filter. That would probably give you the assumption the fuel pump is in the tank. I would for one do as jr22 said and check the filter housing for fuel, but also if you find said wire, check it for brakes, clean the connectors and so forth.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lol didn’t mean to click thanks lol, anyway, typically old women are particular about automobiles and will have stuff done that needs to be done. One thing you want to check for is an aftermarket wire going to the battery on the driver’s side, which is the power for the pump in the tank. There will also be a relay/fuse close to above the fuel filter. That would probably give you the assumption the fuel pump is in the tank. I would for one do as jr22 said and check the filter housing for fuel, but also if you find said wire, check it for brakes, clean the connectors and so forth.
yeah truck was in perfect shape everything replaced and never pulled a trailer or nothing, and thanks for all the advice tomorrow we are working on it all day so i will use yals advice and check it all out

·
Registered
51 Posts
yeah truck was in perfect shape everything replaced and never pulled a trailer or nothing, and thanks for all the advice tomorrow we are working on it all day so i will use yals advice and check it all out
Alright man let me know what you discover, I hope its an easy fix.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts