Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Motor in my 01 Cummins Auto Seized up and now I have no clue where to go at this point, she's currently sitting in my driveway and I'm on my own with this one. Im not really sure where to get a decent (actually running) engine or even if i need one. I plan on trying to turn it over by hand to make sure that its actually seized then i will start to take the head off to see if she's rebuildable. If ya'll have any tips or tricks or advice on this i would greatly appreciate it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yea man give us a rundown of what happened and why you think it's seized. Details, details, details!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry about the late reply. I’ve been so busy with school and work. A couple days before the truck started to knock. My oil pressure gauge on the dash (I don’t have Pillar gauges) would drop to 0 until I would take off from a red light, when I would start to accelerate there would be white smoke rolling out of the exhaust trying to mix with the “Coal” so it would look more grey after a while the gauge would go back to normal, I got a little worried and checked the oil and it was fine, just needed a little top off so I topped it off and at the time I didn’t have any other means of getting to school so I had to drive it and didn’t have time to take it to a shop. I drove to work one night and noticed a bit of a rhythmic tapping and thought it might have just been a road vibration but it got a little louder and I could actually hear the knocking.it sounded like it was a higher end knock so I thought it was an injector knock and called my mechanic who said it would be two days before I could take it there and the next day I drove to work and the knocking got worse and when I turned it off I heard a super loud pop and some white smoke coming out of the engine bay. So I looked under the hood and talked to the previous owner of the truck who said it was probably the vp44 going out and said Take it to any mechanic to see what was going on so i started my way to the nearest mechanic and the knock got SOOO BAD. It was shaking the whole cab super bad so I had to park it I didn’t want it to seize on me. And it was next door to the mechanics shop in a parking lot so I asked them to try and diagnose it and I left and went home trying not to stress out about it and I got a call saying I’m going to need a tow truck becuase they seized it. They never gave me and info and I don’t even think they tried to see what was going on exactly. When the truck got home I tried to start it and i could just hear the starter trying to turn it over, It sound like nothing was turning. My personal mechanic came to my house after I said screw the sketchy shops and said to check if it was seized but I haven’t had any time at all to do that

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a video of it running and you can hear it. I don’t know how to post it on here tho

·
Registered
949 Posts
have to upload it to something like youtube and post the link here. Hopefully it's nothing major

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Yep I'd say done. The oil pressure gauge is not the most reliable thing but given all your symptoms it sounds like you ran with no oil pressure.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
You drove a truck with zero oil pressure!? You cooked the engine, its probably not even rebuildable. Cut your losses and part the truck out.
Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Sorry to be harsh but you learned a lesson the hard way, find another truck now. Unless the body and transmission are absolutely perfect you are going to go upside down very fast moneywise.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Eh if you can do the work your self a good used engine is alot less then a new truck. provided the truck is not a pile.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yea I dont get the big deal w a blown engine... you can source a good vp engine w vp and turbo around me for 700. The 12v engine goes for more than that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have found an 01 engine for it. But it’s a HO I don’t know if it would work with my automatic or really anything. I plan on manual swapping it in the future but should I look for a Non high output engine?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You drove a truck with zero oil pressure!? You cooked the engine, its probably not even rebuildable. Cut your losses and part the truck out.
Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Sorry to be harsh but you learned a lesson the hard way, find another truck now. Unless the body and transmission are absolutely perfect you are going to go upside down very fast moneywise.
that’s pretty funny seeing as I’m only 17 and on my own. I have s*** I needed to do and had no other choice 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
176 Posts
I feel for you. Thats a bad spot to be in; now the next step is figuring out what to do within your finances. Take it step by step and try to see how damaged the motor is; but it doesn't sound good.

·
Registered
18,912 Posts
The HO will work fine with the auto. You just need to have the the ECM and VP44 from/with the HO and use the PCM form your original auto truck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I feel for you. Thats a bad spot to be in; now the next step is figuring out what to do within your finances. Take it step by step and try to see how damaged the motor is; but it doesn't sound good.
Money isn’t really and object for me I planned on building my truck anyways just not from a seized engine. My main problem is how am I going to get it out? I was talking to some friends who were saying getting the transmission and engine apart is going to be a b**** since I will need to turn the engine over to get the bolts out. I can maybe take the engine and transmission out together but I don’t think I have enough resources I’m currently looking for a shop I can leave my truck at and do the work myself i.e taking the cab off

·
Registered
18,912 Posts
The VP44 is what has to be HO specific. Often ECM's can be reprogrammed if non matching or rebuilt blank, often done at rebuilder.
There are several ways to build rent or use an engine hoist. If you live in the woods you can even cut 30 ft polls and make a tripod. You could make a hoist for a winch on a truck. A friend with a tow truck boom. a barn log beam or rent one if you can find one heavy enough.

If you have a good lift, remember you can foll the truck rather than the lift if terrain requires. (Dirt lot)
Lots of engine trani pairs are easier removed as a unit.
For used parts use Craig's list, ads here, or Car-part.com for wrecking yards nationwide, sort by miles.
Make sure you match the Cummins or Bosch part numbers, is easier than matching the Dodge PN's.for engine and associated fuel or electronic parts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The VP44 is what has to be HO specific. Often ECM's can be reprogrammed if non matching or rebuilt blank, often done at rebuilder.
There are several ways to build rent or use an engine hoist. If you live in the woods you can even cut 30 ft polls and make a tripod. You could make a hoist for a winch on a truck. A friend with a tow truck boom. a barn log beam or rent one if you can find one heavy enough.

If you have a good lift, remember you can foll the truck rather than the lift if terrain requires. (Dirt lot)
Lots of engine trani pairs are easier removed as a unit.
For used parts use Craig's list, ads here, or Car-part.com for wrecking yards nationwide, sort by miles.
Make sure you match the Cummins or Bosch part numbers, is easier than matching the Dodge PN's.for engine and associated fuel or electronic parts
what parts numbers would have to match?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts