Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my old girl back on the road after yesterday after doiing my new turbo and 7.3L intercooler swap, took it out for a spin and he she went into engine runaway upon a split second hard acceleration. Its never done this to me before and My pump is maxed out but i have not change it sense i originally adjusted it. so im not sure why suddenly out of the blue it decides to do it one day. Any input would be nice. Also i was wondering if putting bigger injectors in will help with runaway? Also has anybody cut their delivery valves on a VE pump and would this also help with runaway? My thought on it is your lowering the pressure inside the pump with bigger opening so yes it would but not sure.
???????????????:confused013:

·
Super Moderator
23,792 Posts
Runaway is usually caused by the power screw turned in to far, back it out 1 turn and see if it still does it.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
* I was wondering if putting bigger injectors in will help with runaway?

No.

* Also has anybody cut their delivery valves on a VE pump and would this also help with runaway?

Our DVs are "Full-Cut" as stock/OEM. Has no impact on our typical runaway issue.

As has been suggested above, back out the main fuel-screw a little.

·
Sweatin to the oldies
2,211 Posts
Injectors will solve the power issue in a way, but it won't fix the runaway issue.

Putting in larger injectors will give you more fuel than normal, allowing you to back the pump back off and fix the runaway problem.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Have you done anything else?

Adjusted your governor screw (throttle stop)? Tightened up your throttle cable slack? Advanced your timing?

Timing won't affect it, but advancing your timing does the same as tightening up your throttle allowing more throttle travel (in some cases)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turbo is a brand new s300 from schieds and intercooler was thoroughly cleaned out before installing. Yes rest of pump is adjusted aswell. I just dont get why it has never been an issue with how far the power screw is turned up. I have ran it in this same position for a long time and never had any issues. Now out of the blue it runs away. ????????????? IDK Its always something

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yea runaway is usually one of two problems and thats the power screw or the turbo seal going bad. In your case i would ask about oil in the intercooler but you said it was clean? Also when i turned my power screw in i almost had a runaway on my hands. Just make sure when you are tweaking this thing to fix it, keep the intake boot off and have something to cut air off near by (2x4 works great)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have you done anything else?

Adjusted your governor screw (throttle stop)? Tightened up your throttle cable slack? Advanced your timing?

Timing won't affect it, but advancing your timing does the same as tightening up your throttle allowing more throttle travel (in some cases)

how does advancing the timeing tighten up your throttle? i dont plan on doing this im going to use the shim. im still curious

1 - 11 of 11 Posts