Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna be picking up my new 2011 soon, what do all you guys recommend using for engine oil? I'd like to go Full Synthetic. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have heard valvoline royal purple and Rotella T

·
Cowboy AKA Equality State
918 Posts
I already know this is gonna start another oil war :doh:

Rotella 5W-40 (cheap and easy to get) is good, Schaeffer's (not well known, but is high quality stuff!) is another, and even the "liquid gold" Amsoil (that tends to bring out the most aggression in ANY oil related post) WILL suit your needs and give you what you are looking for :thumbsup:

Pretty much boils down to what you wanna spend :thumbsup:

Edit: Forgot to add Premium Blue (also cheap and easy to find) and Royal Purple (expensive!)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I use Delo

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Any of the mentioned oils will give you great service. And after 300000 miles there will not be a iota of difference in engine wear.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just make sure it's a CJ-4 oil of the proper viscosity for your outside temperatures and you'll be good. CJ-4 basically means low ash which is what our wonderful emissions equipment requires.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Valvoline Premium Blue, I pick it up at the local Cummins Atlantic shop. Every oil analysis has came back in excellent shape. It's all posted in my sig if you want to check it out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I already know this is gonna start another oil war :doh:
Nah, I got with Brand A, which is clearly the best. Anybody who chooses differently are of questionable intelligence, or perhaps just misinformed.

There are adherents of Brand B, but they are wasting their money on an inferior product. Those are still better off than the people who, God forbid, choose Brand C.

Brand A for the win!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I recently purchased a 2008 cummins and was wondering the same thing. I have done some research and came to my own conclusion. Which was amsoil.

·
Diesel Filled Veins!
5,401 Posts
If you are willing to educate yourself, you'll find the only real way to tell what you're doing/using is working is through oil analysis. You can use the cheap stuff and use oil analysis to determin change intervals (sometimes the cheap stuff is cheaper to just change every 7000 miles) or use the expensive stuff and oil analysis and get longer change intervals. Yes, longer change intervals are possible with the cheaper stuff, but if you're only paying $60 per oil change, what's the point of oil analysis unless you suspect there's unusual wear in your engine (may also tell you if your head gasket is leaking due to glycol in the oil) or if you're oil has too much soot in it (thanks EGR!).

So in conclusion, run proper oil analysis to get base line oil change intervals and use it periodically to determine the overall condidtion of your engine (bearing wear, head gasket, etc).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nah, I got with Brand A, which is clearly the best. Anybody who chooses differently are of questionable intelligence, or perhaps just misinformed.

There are adherents of Brand B, but they are wasting their money on an inferior product. Those are still better off than the people who, God forbid, choose Brand C.

Brand A for the win!
Guess I chose brand D. Just changed mine today with my leftover FORD MOTOCRAFT. :hehe:

·
Registered
95 Posts
diesel oil polce please forgive me

·
Registered
597 Posts
So what if a guy wants to switch to synthetic after, oh let's say, 156,743 miles???:confused013:

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I'm using Rotella T6 5w40 synthetic in my '07.5, has worked just fine so far and is barely more expensive than the 15w40 Rotella.

Anyone that starts complaining that the T6 isn't really synthetic is going to get a kick to the groin. :D

·
Salty Squid
770 Posts
Chevron Delo 400 15w-40

1 - 20 of 21 Posts