Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the Cummins world but so far so good... I have a 98’ 12 valve with 113k miles. I bought this from a used dealer, so I really don’t know what kind of life it’s had. I know I’m the 3rd owner... I have an acquaintance that sells amsoil 15/40 and he runs it in his 18wheelers and swears by it... so I decided to put it in the 12 valve, says I can go 10k miles before changes... I have since bought a new 2019 2500 and have put 4400 miles on it so far... I plan on using amsoil for it as well... just seeing what most of you out there use in your Cummins....? I’m sure there’s a sales pitch to every product, but seems like the oil test are really good on the synthetic motor oils that I’ve seen.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I run Shell Rotella T6, full synthetic. I've run it in both this and the 2018 RAM, along with my previous Ford Powerstrokes. Rotella is a proven, great diesel oil, and can be bought pretty inexpensively on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Read through the owners manual and see what the oil specs are. As long as it meets the standards required you will be fine.

·
Registered
827 Posts
These engines don't care what oil you run, match one for your climate and ensure its CES 20081/86.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don’t run synthetic for the first few oil changes, I’ll run Dino to let everything wear in like it’s supposed to then switch to the good stuff. Slick oil too soon won’t let rings seat glaze over cyl walls, etc. putting flame suit on, and grabbing my popcorn.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I love to see where these "what the best oil to use" threads go, usually its a pissing match over something that is just opinions and by the first few replies the OP has their answer but it goes on for pages & pages. Let the fun begin...:sofa1:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMO, the kind of oil and when it’s changed matters if you’re gonna keep the truck past 150k miles.. maybe I’m wrong... but a lot or some dealers give a lifetime warranty on engines if you change oil at their dealership... maybe not for diesels? but definitely gassers... but honestly, how many people trade before they would even come close to using the warranty... I guess “warranties” are like Vegas... they are gonna win in the end...

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Got trucks at work with regular Dino oil through them well over 150k with no issues, worked hard and idled long hours as well. My diesels at home ran Synthetic, just my choice. Changed the oil every 10-20k with analysis saying all good. Run what ya want:thumbup:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Rotella T6 5W-40. Mostly for the six to seven months of winter we get in these parts and secondly cuz it's acceptable for the rest of the year when exercising only 50 to 75 percent of the CTD's potential.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts