Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I am new here and I just bought my first diesel truck. Its an 01 Ram. Anyways, my question is what brand/wt oil and filter is the best to use in my CTD. I dont know much about the CTD yet, so any advice will be nice. Thanks, Jacob

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Valvoline Premium Blue, Mobil-Delvac, Amsoil w/ Fleetguard p/n16035

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
:welcome: synthetic oils are the best, all of them are not equal. Read on, theres alot of good friendly help here on cf :welcome:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
talk to chuck with amsoil... he is one of our site sponsers... he is a VERY big help... but with my next oil change i am going with amsoil..

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
where do you usually get your oil at? Ive checked out wal-mart, they only have Castrol and Motorcraft diesel oil

·
Registered
6 Posts
AMSOIL oil and filter

I change my oil every 15,000 miles and use AMSOIL DEO 5w-40 and AMSOIL EA080 filter for my 07 5.9L Cummins TD.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
where do you usually get your oil at? Ive checked out wal-mart, they only have Castrol and Motorcraft diesel oil
Wal-Mart also has Shell Rotella :thumbsup

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,432 Posts
I use all Amsoil products and filters. Talk to Chuck....Duluth Diesel, and he can help you out. He is an amsoil dealer, and you can get everything from him.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I get CI-4 Mobil Delvac at my Wal-Mart and the MO-285 Mopar filter at wally world.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I use the Mopar Filters and Shell Rotella 5w-40 Synth all of which Wally's carry. At least here in Michigan.

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
My vote is amsoil... Their oil is top quality, and the full flow filter has the best ratings on the market.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I use wally world's Rotella Syn. and buy wix from O'Reilly's

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
The best off the shelf oil filter to use is the Fleetguard Stratapore LF3894 for 98.5-'02, 24-Valve engines. As for oil try to find a name brand 15w40 CI-4+ rated oil though it is getting hard to find CI-4+ oil now days as most only want to sell the new low ash CJ-4.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
man you opened a can of worms on this one! every one has there own opinions and favorite brands.

The bottom line is most of your diesel oils are more then good enough. (rotella, Val blue, Tehn you got syn RP, amsoil, and so on)

Filters I run the stratapore, but the mopar filter (made by fleetgaurd) is good and so is the Wix.

DO NOT USE THE FRAM FILTER!!!! they have been known to come apart on these motors.

My self I run the fleetgaurd filter and Royal Purple and love it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts