Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Engine oil additives????

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  BigFred 
#1 ·
Ok ive done the search on putting lucas stabilizer in the oil. It seems to me that its a 50/50 on a persons experience. Ive used it my gas motors and liked it and had no bad experiences with it. But having said that im not sure how its done in the cummins. Have any of you fellas put it in your motor and how did you like it?

#2 ·
I personally do not use any oil additives in the Cummins. From what I've been able to gather since owning my truck, is that most of the heavy duty engine oils already contain robust additives in their formulations compared to spark ignition engine oils. The few oil analysis reports I've done, even 17K miles and one year on one particular change interval, the reports have been stellar. Oil related issues with this particular engine are rare.

I would suggest not using additives, and take the money you would be spending and establish a "VP44 fund" when the time comes to replace that. In the meantime, chill out and listen to some Buck Owens or Merle Haggard, that great Bakersfield sound!

#3 ·
That stuff makes great assembly lube. :thumbsup:

I don't have any facts to back this up but I have always thought that if you use an additive from day 1 it will not add enough life to the engine to cover it's cost.

Now if you have an old engine that's rattling more than normal and burning/leaking oil it might help by thickening the oil to quieten the engine, slow the leaks and let less oil get past the piston rings.

#4 ·
it depends on the oil you run.. some of the new hippy approved stuff is missing certain things for our trucks.. I get an oil additive from NAPA but for the life of me I cant remember what its called.. John and hollandcourt diesel is the one that turned me onto it.. I would go look in my truck but its at johns getting a new IP.. I will try and find out what it is and get back to ya..

#5 ·
I have used Lucas in my truck before. The only reason I used it was b/c I had a bad blow-by problem and with that thick Lucas syrup it slowed it down a bunch..haha...with that said I figured my blow-by problem was b/c of a vac line disconnected, so now I dont run any oil stabilizer. Personally I dont see the need to run any in a diesel unless your trying to cover something up such as a noise or slow down a leak until you can get it fixed. JMO

#7 ·
I run every additive known to man in my old worn out 2002 dodge ram 5.9 cummins. Because every oil change isn't expensive enough, I add 8 quarts of oil stabilizers, the most expensive amsoil oil supplements available, and the most expensive amsoil synthetic engine oil and filter. :buttkick:I change every thousand miles. Also every oil change, I pull the head, drop the pan and do an in-frame rebuild because I know I just screwed my engine up by not adding enough oil additives... I'm just so scared. :rof:buttkick: I too notice the engine is SOOO quiet after I put that additives and stabilizers in there. Great product:blues::blues::blues:

#8 ·
I love mechanic in a bottle!!!! It is awesome!!!! Oh...wait...there is no thing as a mechanic in a bottle. Oil stabilizers will more than likely affect the additive package in your oil....not it a good way. Oil companies spend large sums of money developing packages to protect your engine. Thes packages very from brand to brand. Adding something else is a crap shoot as far as how it will interact with any given oil's additive package.
Run a quality motor oil rated for your truck and buy stuff to make it shiney or something. It will be money well spent......if you like shiney trucks that is.

#9 ·
Lucas Also spends ALOT of money testing their additives before putting them on the market. They woundt sell somthin that will hurt your engine. I run 3qts. of it with every oil change and have nothing to complain about. I've also benn doin the same in my old mans 01 cummins for that last 200,000 miles and the engine runs just as good as new.

#10 ·
And you have to ask the question. What has it been doing for your and your old man's engine? Have you been pulling oil samples and having them analyzed, where they are compared to the same engines with the same miles to see whether or not your engines are wearing faster, slower, or the same? Until you do that, and verify that you are doing no harm to your engine, then you are only selling snake oil.
Oil samples don't lie.....but salesmen, politicians, and Army recruiters do.
Pull a sample then get back to me with your results.

#11 ·
Haha, thanks for the advice Federal. I miss watching Buck play. Good times at the Crystal Palace!!!!! And thanks for the advice from the rest. I guess ill do a rebuild like black01 does!!!!!!!! Just wanted to see how it works for the guys who do use it in our motors. I didnt use it this oil change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.