Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, hope someone can help me out here.I have this noise coming from my engine and its not the normal tick tick noise most of us have. I guess the best way to describe is, more like a chatter noise, like a bunch of metal lightly hitting against each other. It does it most of the time at start up, then sometimes it will do it once its warm up, just not as bad and only hear it at idle. It does it with the smarty on and when I put it back to stock. The oil level is fine, truck don't smoke, fuel mileage is great and no lost of power. There's no fuel leaks and my fuel filter is new. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
C'mon guys any info out there would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had a bunch of extra rattilin on my 03, turned out to be a couple bad injectors. Not a cheap fix but better than major engine failure. Any diesel shop can do a couple checks and tell you if the injectors are the problem.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks snow4321, helps out alot, just trying to find different options and opinions.

·
Registered
255 Posts
thats pretty much how mine sounded right before the cp3 injector pump went out:$:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know smokenoise, now that you say that, the noise sounds like it is coming from the drivers side of the engine. But then again the fuel system is on the driver side.:CRY:

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had the exact same things as you driver side, and all mostly when cold at start up .. And i to could hear it at idle only . Dealership said mabey vavles out of spec took vavle cover off and found nothing still did it. I put many threds on hear and no one had an answer. And now the noise is gone .. The only thing i can think of is it was the winter fuel .. cause the noise just went away.

·
Registered
218 Posts
That threads a diffrent tick then the one, then the one me & Highgear have and mine just went away so i don't think i was a valve issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i got a tick coming from mine, and it only has 18000 miles, definately sounds like a lifter tickin' (changed oil and it went away, but came back after a week). i don't know if this is the same noise as you guys, but when i read "tick, tick, tick" i got all paranoid about having a seat drop and interference occuring, but i would imagine that would be a little louder than a bad valve adjustment!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Mine makes a ticking sound when the ignition is in the "ON/ACC" position, but I believe that just the injectors priming prior to start up? :popcorn:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yeah when i change my oil its goes away for awile.Mostly when i change the fuel filter too .. Anyone have any ideas what this is ?

·
Registered
436 Posts
mine has a tick also but it's all the time, I still have a warranty so I think I'm going to take it to the dealer and let them check it. I wish I wouldn't of read the tick tick tick thread either as it's got me paranoid too.Will the warranty cover any valve adjustments that are needed?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts