Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 2500 17 k miles with the Cumins
It seems that the engine keeps getting loader. More ticking sounds like maybe the valves. Being my first Cumins I am not sure if this is normal. Should I take it in for a check up. Hate to spend monies if this is normal. Thanks

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
We would have no way of knowing without hearing it to tell you if anything you're hearing is normal or not.

Diesel engines make lots of different noises, very different than gas engines, and they are generally louder than gas engines.

Your truck is still well within the warranty, take it to the dealer if you are worried that much.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I have a 2018 2500 17 k miles with the Cumins
It seems that the engine keeps getting loader. More ticking sounds like maybe the valves. Being my first Cumins I am not sure if this is normal. Should I take it in for a check up. Hate to spend monies if this is normal. Thanks
Make sure your oil is okay and stay out of the drive-thru

Also, there's a lot of ticking noises that emanate from the injectors and the fuel pump.

If it really starts to bother you, take it in to the dealer. Don't mess with it yourself.

Also, what oil are you running and is it cold/cool when you hear it? The dealer (or whoever does your oil change) might be throwing some dino oil in there that takes a while to warm up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Changed the oil and filters myself. Used Rotella T6 15-40 used molar filters.
I am not concerned at this point; I was just wondering if other owners noticed a increase in ticking getting loader over time. I will stop by a dealership next time I get out on the road.
I have a Stealth installed but the ticking sound the same removed are installed. Several thousand miles both ways. Huge difference in power when installed. Easy to remove before taking it to a dealership. Thanks for your information and will keep you updated when I visit a dealership

·
Registered
124 Posts
take the stealth and throw it in the garbage. Those fooler boxes are no good. If you want a tune actually tune it (there are plenty of good emissions intact tuning). Those boxes just change the pulse width modulation of the injectors. They fool the factory ecu into thinking a parameter something different then it actually is.

that said, lots of ticking noises with diesels. Esspically modern ones with DEF. The DEF injector makes quite a loud tick when its working hard and is very easy to hear when stopped with windows down.

·
Registered
61 Posts
by any chance is the ticking louder with the A/C on. I noticed some ticking when a sat with the A/C on a bit. Other than that, mine has ticked from the get go.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
You will also hear the DEF system ticking when the DEF system is activating the injector to add DEF into the exhaust system.

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
You will also hear the DEF system ticking when the DEF system is activating the injector to add DEF into the exhaust system.
I've never heard mine ticking!

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I've never heard mine ticking!
That's because your always driving it and not idling it. If you idle it and stand outside the truck you should be able to hear the DEF doser ticking as it works. Been able to hear mine since day one of owning the truck. I've also heard it on about a dozen other various Rams (2500's, 3500's and a 4500) that buddy's own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've stood near mine while it was idling plenty and still never heard it.
LOL, you got the one with the suppressor on it then. For real, I have heard mine since new and many others. The fleet trucks that we have all have a loud def injector. When I come off of the interstate after a long pull, you can really hear it firing away.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah my DEF injector has an audible tick every 30 seconds or so when idling. Temperature plays a huge factor on how often it ticks though. If it’s really hot outside I’ve been working the truck hard and drive through a quiet area with buildings around you with the windows down it goes nuts ticking a couple times a second I thought something was wrong the first time I heard it

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
LOL, you got the one with the suppressor on it then. For real, I have heard mine since new and many others. The fleet trucks that we have all have a loud def injector. When I come off of the interstate after a long pull, you can really hear it firing away.
Yup that injector almost sounds angry when you first pull off the highway sometimes.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ya my DEF injector ticks very loud as well at times. You can hear it quite easily standing outside the truck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts