Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

engine noise power loss

1167 Views 11 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  BBRam
i have a stock 05 with a edge with attitude installed. i recently noticed a loss in power and a noise that gets louder with acceleration. the noise sounds like a vaccum or an air leak and it increases under hard accereration. the boost and load appears to be normal on the gauges.

any suggestions???
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,525 Posts
i have a stock 05 with a edge with attitude installed. i recently noticed a loss in power and a noise that gets louder with acceleration. the noise sounds like a vaccum or an air leak and it increases under hard accereration. the boost and load appears to be normal on the gauges.

any suggestions???
could be your injectors, or your cp3 whining, youll get that when you raise pressure, and add fuel... does it make a popping sound under the hood when you hammer it or does it just get sluggish, what level you running the edge on, could be draining your rail and starving your injectors.... thats not good, you will loose an injector doing that, turn your edge down to level 2 or 3 and see if it makes a difference... :thumbsup

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i turned my edge down and it still makes the noise. i have checked all the boots and all are attached and dont seem to be leaking. but, i did have injectors installed last week.

there is no poppoing noise, just a sucking or blowing noise that increases with acceleration.

5,525 Posts
what level you running your edge on, and more than likely the noise you are hearing is the cp3 whining, its high pitched and when you hammer it, you hear it get louder, the reason your probably loosing power is because of the injectors, what size did you put in? the injectors are demanding so much that your draining your rail and starving the injectors, thats where your getting your power loss... you need to upgrade your cp3 injection pump...

5,525 Posts
stock injectors and the edge is generally on tow. the edge has been intalled for about a month and the injectors for about a week.
yea my edge whines anything 2 and up... but they either installed the injectors wrong, or didnt seat them good, or its draining the rail.... do you get any white smoke or haze when the truck is idling, and do the key cycle, and see if it has any soft codes stored in the ecm... do you know how to do that?

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea my edge whines anything 2 and up... but they either installed the injectors wrong, or didnt seat them good, or its draining the rail.... do you get any white smoke or haze when the truck is idling, and do the key cycle, and see if it has any soft codes stored in the ecm... do you know how to do that?
im not sure how to do the key cycle. do you have a link to instructions??

5,525 Posts
im not sure how to do the key cycle. do you have a link to instructions??
just get in the truck, and do not start it, but turn the key on-off-on-off-on, stopping in the on position but not cranking it, do this within like three-five seconds, and where the odometer is, the numbers will go away, and the codes will pop up...:thumbsup

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
we figured it out, well actually my mechanic figured it out.

the end of the intercooler tank was blown off. it was hard to see with it in the truck, but when they pressured up the system it was pretty easy to find.

thanks for all the help!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.