Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was my first trip out pulling my travel trailer which weighs 10K and when I would hit 1550 rpm this humming noise would start and get worse as the rpm increased to about 1650 and then start to go down. It was also in a rhythm not a constant and at 1600 it was just to loud to hear the radio. If I let off the gas it would go away but the minuet I gave it the gas it would come back. When I hit 1700 RPMs the hum was still there but not as noticeable. I don't think it is the tires (20" Nitto Grappler's) I do have a 6" lift.

I do not have any engine mods complete stock with 12K 2007 5.9 Mega Cab.

This only happens when pulling my TT.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
the truth is that i have no idea what that is , but i just pulled a 13000# trailer to pismo beach from los angeles and it was making this crazy drone noise at around the same rpm........but i still cant tell you what that is.......truck runs perfectly strong.:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Acoustic resonance vibrating something at the magic frequency? Take your foot off it, and the engine has less force in it's vibration, so it goes away. Just a wild guess.

You might feel your door and see if it is physically vibrating. If so you might try cracking your windows. The cab is fairly well sealed, perhaps the magic frequency is turning the cab into a big resonance chamber.

Really fishing here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the truth is that i have no idea what that is , but i just pulled a 13000# trailer to pismo beach from los angeles and it was making this crazy drone noise at around the same rpm........but i still cant tell you what that is.......truck runs perfectly strong.:thumbsup
Dom42, do you know if it was making the same noise before you added any mods? I have been told that a lot of it will go away with a cold air, chip, and exhaust?:$:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts