Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would I need to do to the fuel system on a 91 Ram 250 (Cummins) to run B100 biodiesel? I understand it is tough on rubber lines.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
You need a new lift pump. I think that any new, non-NOS diaphragm pump is good for biodiesel, but most people go to a piston-style lift pump for better performance anyways...

There aren't many rubber fuel lines in the fuel system, I don't know if you'd need to replace all of them? Wouldn't be too hard...

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
What would I need to do to the fuel system on a 91 Ram 250 (Cummins) to run B100 biodiesel? I understand it is tough on rubber lines.

Thanks
Bio causes the rubber to swell, then it starts to crack and will split...Best hose to replace it - according to several sites - seems to be SAE30R9.
It's high pressure ( 150psi ) but it's a Viton fluoroelastomer hose. That will last forever.
Most sites recommend watching your fuel hoses and don't replace something that doesn't need replacing. You should get plenty of warning if you check for swelling.
The IP seals - questionable...If you've got 250K or better, you might need them anyway. Then again some last longer.
Again - don't replace just to replace. you see the leaks long before the seal or hoses go out.
And have with your bio, just made my second batch at ~ $.35/ liter. Thats less than $1.35/ gal :hyper::hyper::hyper:
So far the truck still has 1/2 tank of dinodiesel so the concentration isn't enough to notice. But I'm going to creep up to B100 about a gallon at a time keeping a close watch on seals, hoses, fuel pump, etc.

I've been checking the European sites - they've been at this 5 or 6 years...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks for helping me out. I was not sure just what would need to be changed or how it would be effected. I have seen two pretty good deals on 1st generation Dodge 250's but shied away because of using biodiesel.

I am running homemade B100 in my 97 F250 now and love it. I don't have a way yet to meter gallons into the truck, but I firmly believe I am getting better mileage out of it and I can't tell that it is different from dino diesel.

·
Registered
92 Posts
how can you not tell what your mileage is? figure out the size of the tank and how much it holds if its a stock f250 the dealer can tell you what gallon your tank/s hold and then you fill it till its full and watch your mileage

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
It's hard for me to determine my mileage because I have no functional odometer...

And, oh yeah, injection pump seals. Those too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's hard for me to determine my mileage because I have no functional odometer...

And, oh yeah, injection pump seals. Those too.
lol, i feel your pain on the non working odo:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
how much does the set up cost to make the bio?

·
Registered
20 Posts
European sites

Can u please tell us what european sites for bio diesel info? Yhx

·
Registered
345 Posts
Next time you take a long drive (one sufficient to check mileage) fill up before an after then get the mileage from GoogleMapping. You can even drag your cyber path around to match any side trips you take.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts