Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,002 Posts
Do the key trick, turn the key on, off, on, off, on and watch the odometer for codes.

Should read PXXXX....PDONE, whereas the X's are numbers.

This will give us a working code to diagnose.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did that today and got like 3 codes,p 1693, p 230, p 1689 i tried looking the codes up on the internet and had no luck what so ever!:doh:

· Registered
1,002 Posts
P1693 - DTC Detected in Companion Module

This basically means that one computer is communicating with another computer stating that a trouble code has indeed been set.

P230 - Tranfer pump (lift pump) out of range

This means a problem has been detected with the transfer pump circuit. Could be a bad transfer pump, bad relay, bad wiring, etc...if the transfer pump is not operating properly, which should be verified with a fuel pressure gauge, then you need to stop running the engine or damage to the injection pump could result.

P1698 - No communication between ECM and Injection pump module

This is stating that the computer on the injection pump is not relaying back information to the ECM. The result should be a loss of power or failure to start. This could be set out of error also.

I would start with checking the fuel pressure for sure, you don't want to damage the injection pump with a bad lift pump. You should have a minimum 10psi under all conditions if not I suggest buying an aftermarket alternative like a Raptop or FASS DDRP as they don't have the problems the factory style lift pumps do. Running the injection pump without adequate fuel volume will eventually damage the pump causing a P0216 code. Which will result in you replacing the $1300 injection pump.

The reasons for the P1689 code are many. At sometime the VP44 didn't communicate with the ECM. I would start checking the relays in the Power Distribution Unit. If they are ok, check the harness on the back of the VP44 for problems. I am sure others can chime in here about this issue as I have not experienced it personally.

Go to the nearest parts store after checking the lift pump and have them scan and clear the codes in the ECM. Then report back if they reappear.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello, my name is Sebastian. I am from Poland. I have Dodge Ram 2500 with 6.7 Cummins Diesel, 2008 May. Ram have 10647 miles. I buy new one.
Now i have problem with engine light. Engine light (check engine) is turn on, but Ram have not any errors (PXXXX). After 4 start engine, light is turn off, but after a few kilometer turn on again.
Errors to this moment i have it was P2262, P2000, P0513.
(Sorry for my english)
Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.