Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this been answered but I cant find it anywhere

How long should a cummins engine last

a 1st gen

2nd gen

and mainly 3rd gen

I might buy a 3rd gen with 260000km on it and wondering how long it should last

Thanks

·
Washington Chapter Pres.
2,023 Posts
Thats 162,500 Miles. That thing is still young. I would say that it should last until around 750,000 miles or 1,200,000km. Just take real good care of it.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
take care of it and it will take care of you :thumbsup

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Its designed lifespan is 12000hrs, but might go 50,000hrs or 5000!

All depends on how much TLC ya give her!

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Its designed lifespan is 12000hrs, but might go 50,000hrs or 5000!

All depends on how much TLC ya give her!
Does that mean if I drive really fast to where I am going I shorten the length of time the motor is running therefor giving it more time to live? :lol3:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow

awsome thanks guys

and a few mods like a 5 inch straight pipe and a air intake or maybe a banks kit should do good

·
Washington Chapter Pres.
2,023 Posts
wow

awsome thanks guys

and a few mods like a 5 inch straight pipe and a air intake or maybe a banks kit should do good
Scratch the banks but intake and exhaust will do it good. The more air you can get in and out the better.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont like the banks cause its not a straight pipe and plus i porbally wouldnt have cash for it

either a side dump or a single stack 5-6 inhes and an air intake and i will be set

·
Washington Chapter Pres.
2,023 Posts
Exactly.:thumbsup

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Does that mean if I drive really fast to where I am going I shorten the length of time the motor is running therefor giving it more time to live? :lol3:
Technically, yea, it would live for 10 million miles if you were able to cruise at 1000mph :T:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so if I were to go to a 2nd gen dually either 12v or 24v should it still last over 500 000 miles

·
Registered
3,669 Posts

Actually yes if stock Cummins test these engines at 100% duty cycle! :thumbsup

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
FYI

I run the 4bta3.9 and 6bta5.9 engines on our core drills and they run flat out 24/7 and alot of the time under heavy load. We havent really had a whole lot of major issues with them, we have a 3.9 thats got 20,000hrs+ on the clock and still goin!

·
Washington Chapter Pres.
2,023 Posts
Some of the guys have 1.4 million miles on there first gens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts