Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

engine fan

1302 Views 9 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  jwalth02
Looking for some troubleshooting tips. My engine fan comes on way too often and stays on way too long even when the temperature outside is only moderately warm (50 to 60 degrees faranhiet). I have replaced the coolant and I have also replaced the thermostat. Is it possible that my water pump is going out or could it be something else like a sending unit or some other type of a sensor? The engine has 95,000 miles on it with the original water pump so I can imagine it might be time for a new one. However, the heater still pumps hot air inside the cab so I am not entirely sure it is a water pump issue. Any help or information will be greatly appreciated. With summer coming on I need to get this straightened out.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
:welcome:

Usually when a water pump goes out it just the bearings go bad or the seal leaks or a combination of both. Some times you'll see an impeller break but then usually it will punch a hole in the housing.

What year truck is it? Is the fan clutch electric engagement of a viscus clutch?

· Registered
1,207 Posts
try to spin the fan when the truck is off and see how many times the fan turns

· Registered
2,512 Posts
These fans are temp operated..
So
You are either too hot
or
Maybe center of radiation is plugged op or ..more likely your fan clutch is bad.
Your fan should be in free wheel most of the time....Mine almost never comes on..well it did in S. Dakota with a HVY towon

· Rescue Tower
11,008 Posts
Put your truck details in your signature line. Why did you change coolant and thermostat? Was it running hot?

· Premium Member
11,940 Posts
If fan clutch was bad you would not hear/feel it coming on. Not heard of Water pump not pumping when heater gets hot.
My first thought is outside of radiator pluged from bugs, dirt, or puke bottle leaking.
Somewhere a leaking head gaskt could be a issue.

· Registered
1,316 Posts
Viscous clutches usually fail by not engaging, or leaking the oil out and seizing. If yours is kicking on and off, it's working. This means your engine is getting hot-this could be normal, like from pulling a trailer, or laying on the fuel. Or it could be from a problem like a restricted cooling system-external restriction OR internal.

I'd make sure it's clean, and maybe do a coolant flush if I thought something was wrong. I'll note, however, that after a drive on the freeway, or stop and go traffic will be enough to require fan operation to keep temps under control. It might be normal.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The truck is a 2000. I changed the coolant out because after 93,000 miles I figured it was time. That's when it started running hot so I put in a new thermostat. Nothing changed. I have thought about it being the clutch fan but I figured since the thing actually would turn on it was still working. I don't know if the clutch fan is electronic or viscus. How do you tell?

· Registered
817 Posts
Did you make sure you got the air out of the system? If there's any in it, it will heat up quick. Have you checked level since you changed it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.