Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Heck if I know
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know who makes an ENGINE DRIVEN AIR COMPRESSOR for my truck??? I had a 12 volt jobber but it [email protected]# the bed and I dont like the idea of the oilless compressor. So Im looking into an ENGINE DRIVEN AIR COMPRESSOR. any ideas??????

·
Registered
655 Posts
There are supposedly some kits for these trucks out there, I just can't recall the name brand. Let me make a look around, but if I remember they are in the ball park of $600.00

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
why not just get a small electric one and a tank and mount it in the bed?

·
Registered
655 Posts
I can't find it, must not be using the right key words. The sought after brand is YORK because of the internally lubricated mechanisms, so the biggest thing left to do is get a bracket made to run it off your belt system. The compressors can be cheap if gotten at a junk yard, maybe 50 bucks tops, and the rest of the fittings and hoses, pressure switches, gauges and stuff i'm sure someone on here could hook you up with that.

EDIT

Found one!

::Kilby Enterprises::

·
Heck if I know
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because I did that and it fried after using it for 2 hours. The 12 volt jobbers arent made for continious use unless you jump up to the 6-$700 range and even then the compressors are oiless. which is the main reason mine fried.

·
Heck if I know
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
compressor

I can't find it, must not be using the right key words. The sought after brand is YORK because of the internally lubricated mechanisms, so the biggest thing left to do is get a bracket made to run it off your belt system. The compressors can be cheap if gotten at a junk yard, maybe 50 bucks tops, and the rest of the fittings and hoses, pressure switches, gauges and stuff i'm sure someone on here could hook you up with that.

EDIT

Found one!

::Kilby Enterprises::
I looked around and found the same thing regarding York and the compressor. Would you mind expanding on why jeeps and older vehicles between 70-80 had air compressors on them. Or are people using the old York AC units that are self lubed for on board air???

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hey LRCanon if you have a min check this auction out. eBay Motors: JEEP YORK ON BOARD AIR COMPRESSOR WITH CLUTCH NEW (item 180253046368 end time Jun-21-08 20:43:33 PDT)

Also do I need right of left pump?
from what i see the right/left suction is just a preference. it would depend on where you were going to mount the compressor on the engine whether you would prefer one or the other. like i said before the biggest thing is going to be getting the bracket, you can get a used compressor off a wrecked car for next to nothing, that one you listed is 350.00, not bad, but could get one cheaper if you wanted to go used.

I am in the process of re-doing my onboard air and will probably be going engine driven as well so I'll keep you posted if I find anything interesting.

·
Registered
655 Posts
oh, and to answer you other question, yes the ones on the jeeps were add ons for the air systems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts