Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure this is the correct place for the post, although i need electrical power to keep truck running....

Hey guys, I am having an intermittent power issue. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind it.

Sometimes when i hit my blinker switch the truck will lose engine power. The gauges will drop off, and the radio as well. It seems to some how be tied to the ignition switch, and turn signal.

Sometimes its the left turn, some times its the right turn sometimes its both. It can happen at idle sitting in park, or it can happen after driving for an hour (while using signals) then suddenly you go to turn or change lanes, and bam your dead in the water. Have to toss into neutral to restart. On the very rare occasion when this happens simply turning the turn signal lever to the "at rest" position doesn't fix the issue, and a good smack or two on the steering wheel will

Truck in question is a 93 with the CTD. I dont think the cummins has anything to do with this, and it seems to be a problem related to the column.

Has anyone else had an issue similar to this? Or have any ideas what to look for. I have a spare column just need to have it pulled from a cab at a friends house. But would like to figure this out if possible without having to swap columns

·
Registered
472 Posts
I would guess, "intermittent short in blinker circuit which de-energizes the +12vdc to the fuel shut-off solenoid." But, it is hard to picture that without the short also blowing a fuse. You are running the original amp fuse, right? No smoke, sparks, burning smell?

Intermittent electrical problems are always everyone's favorites.

You got a wiring diagram?

Roy

·
Premium Member
20,651 Posts
A quick temporary fix would be to run a hot wire to a toggle switch and then to your shut off solenoid and unhook the factory wire. That will safely keep you running and you'll have to remember to use the toggle. Sounds like you could have a short but I would check all the ground wires and cables on engine body and battery. Take them off and clean with a wire brush, a bad ground will do weird things

1 - 3 of 3 Posts