Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Engine Coolant

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  sombuun02 
#1 ·
Hello fellow Cummins owners,
I was wondering if i could get some feedback on whether i should use Mopar or Amsoil engine coolant when i change my engine coolant. I opened up my radiator cap and the current fluid is orange. I know Amsoil is red and I know i have to use HOAT. The amsoil says its HOAT and I want to use the best no matter the price. I pull a 20,000lb toy hauler and live in it full time. So my question is: If the current coolant in there is Mopar can i use Amsoil coolant when i change it without getting all the Mopar coolant out? I just want to use the peacock to drain and put new coolant in there with out taking the water pump off and unhooking hoses.
Thank you for the help

#2 ·
YES! AMSOIL coolant is compatible!

You will not have any problems - however, why not just take it to a radiator shop with the total amount of Amsoil coolant needed for a full refill? They can vacuum the entire system and add the new coolant with out introducing air into the system.

There are other DIY methods, but take much longer.

AMSOIL does recommend replacing all coolant to maximize the effectiveness of their coolant.

I ran the AMSOIL HD coolant for around 175K miles (I think). I had to have the turbo replaced and didn't plan for the shop to not have the appropriate stuff to capture and reuse the old coolant, so I ended up 'downgrading' to the AMSOIL Passenger/light truck coolant since I couldn't order and get the red coolant in quick enough.

I'll eventually swap it back out with the red stuff, but I didn't encounter anything unusual pulling my toy hauler last year, so I'm in no rush.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Reactions: sombuun02
#3 ·
YES! AMSOIL coolant is compatible!

You will not have any problems - however, why not just take it to a radiator shop with the total amount of Amsoil coolant needed for a full refill? They can vacuum the entire system and add the new coolant with out introducing air into the system.

There are other DIY methods, but take much longer.

AMSOIL does recommend replacing all coolant to maximize the effectiveness of their coolant.

I ran the AMSOIL HD coolant for around 175K miles (I think). I had to have the turbo replaced and didn't plan for the shop to not have the appropriate stuff to capture and reuse the old coolant, so I ended up 'downgrading' to the AMSOIL Passenger/light truck coolant since I couldn't order and get the red coolant in quick enough.

I'll eventually swap it back out with the red stuff, but I didn't encounter anything unusual pulling my toy hauler last year, so I'm in no rush.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
hey thanks. I like the idea of taking it to a shop. It would be better so i don't get any air in the system. I appreciate the reply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.