Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it. Have a clatter/chatter/rattle that follows RPM's

Valves were adjusted 5k ago.
140k on the clock
No blow by
Checked all bolts on exhaust mani and check tq
Don't see any signs of exhaust leaks
Check the #4 injector clip
Truck runs fine but the rattle annoys the heck out of me.

I've used the search bar over and over but all of the threads about this are dead ends.

Any ideas?

No difference with the smarty on there or off
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
535 Posts
Was the rattle there before the valve adjustment? If not, you may want to check it again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

·
Registered
443 Posts
No, unfortunately not. I listened to yours vids over and over, hoping I could point out the similarities. It's a weird noise. This thing is almost as loud as my '99

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Hmm, maybe post some videos similar to the ones I posted (while driving, and under the hood at idle) to see if anyone can help pinpoint the cause.

Reactions: cummin smoke

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Take your valve cover off and see if any of the valve stems are lower than the others

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have the same kind of ticking noise. of all the research and threads ive read in the 4 years ive owned my truck, everything and everyone points to it being the cp3's piston not being timed properly with the engine? apparently it wont hurt anything, its just annoying so im leaving mine alone for now

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
see if it is the clutch first thing, I bet it is. next the idler pulley bearing

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the same kind of ticking noise. of all the research and threads ive read in the 4 years ive owned my truck, everything and everyone points to it being the cp3's piston not being timed properly with the engine? apparently it wont hurt anything, its just annoying so im leaving mine alone for now

That's what I came up with too, but I'm just tired of the noise so I thought I would ask around. It would be nice to have a quieter diesel...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts