Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm looking at different motors to swap into my truck. I have an older Chevy dually that had a 6.2 in it, backed by a 5 speed.

I'm finally considering going the Cummins route. And because there like lego sets I think it could be in my budget. I don't wanna spend more than 5 grand but i want some pep out it. I was thinking a 24v p pump engine.

So question one (keeping in mind I would be buying as much parts second hand as possible) what is cheaper? Converting a 12 valve to a 24v head, ooorrr p pumping a 24v?

Question 2 who has stuck common rail pistons in there 24v? Is there a difference, or a performance gain to be had?

I was thinking the p pump 24v, bigger turbo, some mild sticks, cam, head work?, some pump modding, fab up a exhaust, maybe an intake, and all new seals and bearings.

Any crazy awesome recipes I'm missing? Other ideas? I'm open to all?

Goal is reliable, efficient as possible, durable, easy to fix, and cheap. I will tow with it some off road ventures but daily drive.

Thanks guys Your help is always appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
What HP goal do you have? If you're not going above ~750hp you shouldn't need to touch the bottom end. If you're going above ~400hp install head studs, above ~55psi boost go with o-rings.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
There would be no gain putting common rail pistons in a VP engine the bowl is not the right shape for the spray angle of a VP motors injectors

Reactions: jlbayes
1 - 4 of 4 Posts