Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I just bought a new 2019 Ram 2500 Laramie diesel 4x4 crew cab on 2/21/2020. This is my first diesel truck. I am not a mechanic. According to my wife, I am not mechanically inclined.

The sticker does not state that my truck has an engine block heater. However, I read somewhere that all Cummins 6.7L I6 engines have the heater preinstalled and just needs a cord attached. The salesman said since it is not stated, it does not have it. I used the vin# and tried to delve a bit more deeply but did not find any further information.

Is it possible the truck has the engine block heater and if so how or where should I look for it. If it does have it, is the cord something I can attach myself?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Honestly I can't say for sure.

Reactions: Electrojake

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
First look at the window sticker. It will say if you have it. If not there is no cord. You will need to install the cord as it's location is next to the Oil Filter. There is a Black Cap covering it.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Yes, Cummins installs the heater in every block. You just need a cord (ebay will work). It is behind the oil filter and little tricky to get to. Next time you get the oil changed, have the cord attached.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Huskerz1

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First look at the window sticker. It will say if you have it. If not there is no cord. You will need to install the cord as it's location is next to the Oil Filter. There is a Black Cap covering it.
Thank You G. Mcpherson. I went out to find the oil filter, which I did. the Oil filter appears to only be accessible from above, through the engine compartment. Beneath the oil filter ,and on the engine block, is something that protrudes out about 2 to 3" and is about 1" or so in diameter. It has a black plastic cup like cover. Does this sound like what you are talking about? I took a couple of pics but it cannot be seen so I am not posting.

Since it was not listed on the window sticker, the salesman and the service department said I would need to install an engine block heater to the tune of $1500.00 minimum. One would think they would know that only a cord need be attached... Curious.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Buy a cord and your done, tell your salesman he needs to educate himself and he owes you $500 for stupidity and wanting to take your money.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just talked to the Salesman. He did not know about the engine block heater being installed in all Cummins I6 engines. He went and talked to the mechanic and parts dept. The cord is a plug and play and costs about $95. What a relief. Thank you for responding so quickly.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
You can buy a cord for about 30.00 or less. Check Amazon. There are also External Plug adapters you can mount on the lower AirDam. Steer Clear of that dealer. Trying to get your money.

·
P2609 Fanatic
4,530 Posts
Since it was not listed on the window sticker, the salesman and the service department said I would need to install an engine block heater to the tune of $1500.00 minimum.

One would think they would know that only a cord need be attached... Curious.
Greetings @Rzrbrn,
I was also a first-time RAM/Cummins owner and a non-mechanic. :thumbsup:

The first and most important thing I learned as a new RAM owner is that the dealer is NOT your friend, (unless you're there to buy a new vehicle).

In a very short while "you" will know far more about your truck than the FCA service department does.

The great crew here at CumminsForum.com has saved me thousands of dollars by helping me stay away from the dealer for just about every problem I've ever had with my truck. :hail:

Click on this link for a block heater cord ---->>>
Block Heater Cord

Welcome to the forum!
Good luck with your new truck. It will be an adventure! :headbang:
Regards,
-Ej-

·
Registered
916 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Before you buy that cord, please look up underneath the pax side of your front license plate area to see if you notice an extension cord looking thing zip tied there. That would be your factory cord. The cord is included in several packages, and a quick peek to verify is free. Also unless you plan on parking in areas that will see -15F overnight, you probably will never use that cord. Haven't used mine yet here in north IL.

Also there is easy ways to change the oil, and a special plug to screw into the filter so you can remove it from the bottom without spilling a drop.
Enjoy the truck.

Reactions: Electrojake

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, digiturbo. I looked and did not see an extension cord zip tied anywhere in the front on the passenger side of the license plate area. I look all over the front. What I did see was a hole in the wheel well through which the oil filter can be reached. That information is just about as valuable as finding an extension cord. I thought I was going to have to go down from the top to reach it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 2019 has the cold weather package with the front grill cover. My previous 2016 Tradesman also had the cold weather package and included was the block heater cord and grill cover. When i bought my 2019, I asked the salesman if Ram still provided the heater cord with the winter package and he said no they don't, you have to buy the cord separate. I thought this was odd, so when I brought the truck home and looked under the front bumper, sure enough the heater cord is tucked up underneath. Check first before you buy a cord, also all the blocks have the heater built in, packages without the cold weather prep more than likely will not have the cord.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My 2019 Ram 2500 Laramie has the heater built in but I could not find a cord anywhere on the truck. I just went ahead and bought the OEM cord, expensive but so it the truck.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Bumping this thread up for the winter months. I have a 3500 on order without the cold weather package and hoping someone can post a link or part number for the cord for a 19+ ram 2500/3500... Thanks!

·
SuperModerator
10,587 Posts
@roosty There is a link to the correct cord in post #10

Reactions: roosty

·
Registered
217 Posts
Reading and comprehension is difficult for some.
Link wasn’t working. I was going write something else but I saw your pathetic Canadian flag and figured you’ve been emasculated your whole life so I felt sorry for you.

·
Registered
217 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Link wasn’t working. I was going write something else but I saw your pathetic Canadian flag and figured you’ve been emasculated your whole life so I felt sorry for you.
Oh look. That pathetic little country sells them.
Sky Plant Flag World Red

I was out of line. I probably should have said nothing.
Much like you and your pathetic Canadian flag comment.
No need to dis all Canadian members just because you're unhappy with me. 🍻

1 - 20 of 28 Posts