Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is considered a normal operating temp for the engine and trans. I regulary see 200 to 210 for my engine and trans just cruising around town. Im pretty sure this is too high especally for the trans. If thats too high what should i check to fix the problem. Im considering getting the Flex-a-lite dual electric fan kit. The truck has 50000 miles. Ive also drivin the truck without the lights in front of the grill with no change.

·
Premium Member
15,462 Posts
If you are looking at the factory gauge its normal. Gauge is a dummy and just sets what the ECU tells it. Maybe correct, may not. Trans temps should run 170-190 read in the cooler output line this time of year. Higher if you are towing in traffic.

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
holy man thats not right at all, 210 is the max u wanna see, and thats runnin ur truck to death, id get it looked at, i beat mine pretty good and ive only seen maybe 150 to 160 and i run it hard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your opinions i appreciate it. hope its not an expensive fix. I hate goin to the dealer there useless.

·
Premium Member
15,462 Posts
Thanks for your opinions i appreciate it. hope its not an expensive fix. I hate goin to the dealer there useless.
Your temps are not unusual. Take it in if you want but it does not look like there is a problem.

150-160 temp on what? Thats not even in the ball park. Bad gauge, wrong position, but way low.

How are you measuring this temp and where is the sensor?

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
yeah, your temps seem to be pretty normal. i live in southern california and the trans temp fluctuates between 178-205 degrees in town and is pretty steady at 178- 185. it all depends on how you drive and where.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hmm my tranny is always around the 130-150 area and engine never gets above 190.

·
Registered
503 Posts
IMHO, the only place to mount the trans temp sensor is in the pan or trans service port. The only other choice I'd consider is in the out line to the cooler, as close to the trans as possible. working the trans hard pulling a trailer' pan temps of 200F to 220F can be seen. Of course the lower the better. Driving around town the trans pan temp should read 180 to 200F after full warm up and depending on ambient temp. Getting the trans pan temp much above 220 for prolonged periods will reguire frequent servicing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts