Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 97 2500 with a auto. trans. I am getting different stories on what fluids to run in the eng. and trans. One told me to run the mystic jt8 synthetic blend, another told me that i could run any oil as long as it was 15w40. In the trans, i had a dodge dealer tell me to run ATF4. My owners manual says to run ATF2 or equivalent (mercon or dextron III) . If there is a tech. that knows exactly what fluids to run, please let me know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm no expert but you should definitely run a diesel specific oil, I believe most everyone is running 15W-40. Rotella is a great oil!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I run Rotella 15/40 and I have had no oil related issues. I also run Dodge Trans fluid atf4 and my trans went 265K before the rebuild.
I change my oil every 6K, I do not drive under 15 miles when first heading out.
Trans, I completely flush 2 times a year and 1 time a year I change my trans filter.
The guy who rebuilt my trans stated that he has never seen an transmission as clean as mine and if the O/D bearing wouldn't of gone out who kows how long the trans would of went.
Hope this helps you a little.

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
I've used Dextron III in my auto for 240,000 trouble free miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you see my problem! The last two replies i got, one uses atf4 the other uses dextron III. These are different fluids. I dont know if the year model makes a difference or not.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I think you see my problem! The last two replies i got, one uses atf4 the other uses dextron III. These are different fluids. I dont know if the year model makes a difference or not.
If ATF+2 is the equivilant to dextron 3 then ATF+4 supercedes it. If in doubt read your dipstick:thumbsup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have Dextron in mine aswell, last winter I had a tranny cooler line blow and all I had to use was 2 gallons of Dextron that I had for a backup for my central hydraulics system, I dumped that in, spliced the line with some heater hose I had and continued plowing and I just plain forgot about it til I seen this thread

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
Lots of times people reply in this forum who don't have a 12 valve but rather a newer truck.
They wrongly assume that all Dodges are the same.
Lots of wrong info comes from them that's why it's good to look at the signature of the posters to see what they own.

·
Registered
836 Posts
As stated above ATF+3 and ATF+4 are just newer versions of the ATF+2 any of them will work the ATF+4 is more expensive cause it is full synthatic(sp). Read your awners manual and do what it says I use Chevron Delo 400 15/40 Its a diesel/ heavy duty oil as is the Rotella. Alot of what people say for Rotella or Chevorn depends on where you are from In the Pacific North west and AK they all swear buy Chevron where I am at in SD they swear buy Rotella.

The Chevron have extra additives ie magnisiun that normal gasser oils do not have. The Rotella used to but they have since reformulated so now I do not know.

My owners manual says to use 5w/30 synthetic when the temp dips down to -20f

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
For the engine, as long as its a 15w40 and changed within a resonable ammount of hours/milage it really doesnt matter what you run. my truck has had every brand of oil run through it and its still going strong at nearly 500,000k

1 - 10 of 10 Posts