Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
N it's because most consumers are not intelligent enough to understand where electricity comes from. All they know is that someone told them its "green" so it must be ok. Never mind the infrastructure that would need overhauling and on and on and on.
You are right that majority of electricity is still produced with fossil fuels, but you are incorrect in assuming that because majority of electricity is produced via fossil fuels, that electric cars produce the same emissions as internal combustion engine. First of all roughly 35% of energy produced in america is either nuclear or renewable. In states like CA renewables is even higher. 2nd and more important, energy production on a large scale if far more efficent per KW than a small internal combustion engine. EPA estimates of MPG on EV take into account the source of electricity production.

Given the source of electricity production, EV vehicles are definitely not 100% clean, however they are scientifically proven to be cleaner than the internal combustion engine.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
How about all the fossil fuels burned transporting all the bits to make the car? Dispose of batteries? Transport the cars to dealers? Cant just look at the car itself, must look at the whole picture from start to finish. I'm not saying it wont get better and isnt a good idea but it's no where near what some would have you believe.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The new fuel is coming.

Step 1: Make the world dependent on it for everything, heating, cooling, transportation.

Step 2: Subsidize it to make it appealing to all

Step 3. Make it green, renewable, and sexy.

Step 4. Make all alternatives evil and dirty

Step 5. Create a series of events later on to create a shrinkage, a shortage, a disaster that we solved

Step 6. Raise the rates

The new fuel, Electricity.

How does a 2 thousand dollar a month hydro bill sound?

Sorry for the prophesy, will retreat back under my rock.

·
Registered
508 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
How about all the fossil fuels burned transporting all the bits to make the car? Dispose of batteries? Transport the cars to dealers? Cant just look at the car itself, must look at the whole picture from start to finish. I'm not saying it wont get better and isnt a good idea but it's no where near what some would have you believe.
you are 100% correct in what you are saying, albeit it the points you just made a very small part of the carbon foot print over the duration of the car's useful life cycle. And yes, the EPA does account for the fossil fuels used to produe the electricity used in EV.

EV are without a doubt not 100% clean, but they are significantly cleaner than the IC motor. There are also infrastructure issues with EV and i believe those will improve drastically over the next few years. EV is coming and it's coming very fast whether we like it or not.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Maybe it's just me but I don't believe the EPAs published numbers. They want people to believe EVs are superior so they will make them look superior. One of the largest contributors of air pollution when talking about IC engines are the shipping vessels that transport goods around the world.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
And I'm not a conspiracy theorist type either I just know people dont tell the full story when they want to push their agenda. And it's people that run the EPA. People have their flaws. As soon as someone explains to me how burning more fuel justifies the dpf I go quietly back to my corner. Every diesel on the road burns considerably more fuel. More is processed more is burnt. Along with all the other moving pieces involved. Now figure that airplanes and tankers are the majority by a long ways in the air pollution race but nothing is done to reduce their footprint.

·
Registered
105 Posts
And I'm not a conspiracy theorist type either I just know people dont tell the full story when they want to push their agenda. And it's people that run the EPA. People have their flaws. As soon as someone explains to me how burning more fuel justifies the dpf I go quietly back to my corner. Every diesel on the road burns considerably more fuel. More is processed more is burnt. Along with all the other moving pieces involved. Now figure that airplanes and tankers are the majority by a long ways in the air pollution race but nothing is done to reduce their footprint.
I read somewhere that if cruise ships were gone away with and everyone flew top their destinations, something like 25% of emissions would go down. Not sure how true that is, but it makes sense.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Ducati M.
6,809 Posts
Maybe it's just me but I don't believe the EPAs published numbers. They want people to believe EVs are superior so they will make them look superior. One of the largest contributors of air pollution when talking about IC engines are the shipping vessels that transport goods around the world.
In the balance of cargo moved to emissions produced, cargo ships exude the lowest amount of emissions, and some say they’re moving away from the use of bunker fuel to the more refined diesel (lower emissions, higher cost). The greatest polluters is jet aircraft. Their thermal efficiency, and fuel consumption is atrocious. Aside from the ancient coal power plants that are used overseas aircraft are the worst for emissions, but none of the greenpeacers seem to recognize that.

I feel like the best step between ic and ev transport is series hybrid, but not with gasoline engines. There’s some cool wicked thermally efficient diesel designs out there. There’s a three cylinder opposed piston engine that runs over 40% thermally efficient at minimum (translates to mileage), and some outfit figured out how to make a diesel rotary engine that apparently doesn’t need a liquid cooling system. They’re projecting they can build these things to 1hp:1lb. My thought is ditch the batteries for the most part, use a handful of super capacitors for certain situations, and run like locomotives have for decades. Albeit with a wicked efficient diesel. Also go away from the trend of making vehicles bigger, and heavier.

·
Registered
12,030 Posts
The greatest polluters is jet aircraft. Their thermal efficiency, and fuel consumption is atrocious.
Which explains why they are the favored mode of transportation for climate conferences and such.
Was it something like 1,400 jets at the latest one?

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
There are plenty of ways to reduce emissions that no one wants to talk about. I flew from SC to Cleveland on a plane that holds roughly 100 people. There were 5 of us on that plane. How many nearly empty planes are flying around the world right now? Anyone heard of car pool? Public buses? Trains? A lot of the public mass transit is vastly under used. And because it's such a burden it is under funded and poorly taken care of(dirty garbage filled and smelly)

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
It may just be me but I feel that the reason we have dpfs and such a fuss these days is due to the stupid people and the internet. Diesel has been around a long long time but it wasn't until all the stupid folks on YouTube doing the "hey do you smoke" videos that really upset people. No it wasn't the only reason but it gave the green leaders real heavy ammunition to kill the smoke crews.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Really if you look at the world a lot of it boils down the public media. Same can be said for the anti gun folks. Anyone who believes nut jobs with guns shooting people for no reason is a new thing needs to get their head out of the ground. People have been needlessly killing each other for as long as people have been around. Only thing different now is that everyone knows about every event because of the news. Nothing will every change. News is about ratings and add money. Sensationalism gets views, views generates add money. I belive south park plays this all out perfectly. :rof

·
Ducati M.
6,809 Posts
And let's not even get started on the green leaders private jets...
That was at the forefront of my mind on my comment.

The gun thing I’ve never gotten. How does making legal acquisition of firearms more difficult make things more difficult for those people who were acquiring their firearms illegally anyway?

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
That was at the forefront of my mind on my comment.

The gun thing I’ve never gotten. How does making legal acquisition of firearms more difficult make things more difficult for those people who were acquiring their firearms illegally anyway?
If you dont tell some people the whole story they wont ever figure it out. Even after you tell them they wont belive you. A person willing to murder someone probably hasnt gotten their gun through legal channels.

Makes about as much sense as dpfs lowering the global emissions on a meaningful scale.

·
Ducati M.
6,809 Posts
I asked someone that once when they posted something about gun control, and their answer didn’t make any sense, so yeah, that’s pretty spot on.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Some People are very one track minded. Kinda of like the folks who swear egr destroy engines. But no one can produce a single instance of it actually happening. Countless trucks with countless more miles running up and down the highway. Yes they are dirty and need cleaned regularly but so do my pants. Once some people read something on the internet it becomes fact to them. They can not personally determine fact from opinion.

41 - 60 of 102 Posts