Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hybrids are the only real logical/practical answer. Be it as a hybrid, power multiplication , power assistance, or all three. Dodge/Ram/ FCA already announced a year or two ago that lots of positive changes are in the near future for not only efficiency but for power and performance as well. None of this is new news..

·
Registered
130 Posts
My questions is how is the electrical grid going to support ever increasing electricity demand? Some Places have had rolling black/ brown outs for years because the electricity demand could not be supported. Another concern is the thought of electric prices once everyone is completely dependent on electricity. Also the control over everything once in place. People scream about "big oil" just wait until this is fully implemented. I'm sure government will still need more taxes after they tax the hell out of our electricity as well.

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
Dodge/Ram/ FCA already announced a year or two ago that lots of positive changes are in the near future for not only efficiency but for power and performance as well.
Oh, I can't wait to trade in my Challenger on a new one, that sounds like...a Tesla?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Oh, I can't wait to trade in my Challenger on a new one, that sounds like...a Tesla?
Performance wise, the best ive understood, it will be a mix of hellcat/demon with a hybrid twist.. Angel is the hint theyve given out in some commercials.
There was someone disecting the hints on their youtube channel but havnt seen any in a while. The hints also include/speculate HD truck hints.

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
Performance wise, the best ive understood, it will be a mix of hellcat/demon with a hybrid twist..
While a Demon, without the optional passenger seat and such, isn't exactly light, a Hellcat or Redeye is even heavier.
Add a motor or two, and a battery, and it'd be heavier yet.

Will the extra power help with acceleration? I'm sure it will. But performance should also include being able to stop, and go around corners fast.

Weight is a proven performance killer, and I'm surprised that the current versions do as well as they do while hauling all that mass.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I’ve done a road trip in my father's Model X 75D. 1100 miles. 9-10 stops. Avg. 1hr 20min charging. This is from Naples to Houston, so I75 and I10. It takes forever, and the only thing that makes it worthwhile is autopilot.

I’ll take my truck and bed tank any day. 1300 mile range ftw.

My buddy's wife has a Model S 75D. my buddy hates driving it anywhere but in town because of the lack of mileage. He lives in the mountains and cannot drive more that 120 miles without it needing a charge. it is a super pain in the rear. he drives an F250 with a Powerstroke

it is sure fun to drive though:grin2:

·
Registered
62 Posts
One thing rarely mentioned in the push for electric adoption is the bottleneck of rare earth minerals like lithium and cobalt required to make batteries. These elements are finite resources and there frankly is not enough to support a full transition to entirely electric transportation. You think oil is a limited resource, go try and find a lithium mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
530 Posts
And the world will be waiting for you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
1) It's IMPOSSIBLE for the industry to switch to 100% electric cars because there isn't enough natural resources in the world to make enough batteries and that is probably never going to change.
2) Prices on EV are too high comparing like vehicles, only well off people can afford them
3) Towing with EV is horrible, go look at the TFL guys on YouTube attempting to pull a 5000lb trailer with a Tesla ModelX, it's a horrible experience with a range of only 100 miles and not enough charging stations and having to disconnect the trailer or block chargers to charge. It's comical.

We have a long long ways to go before EV's can actually replace work trucks.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Hydrogen power is a much better alternative, they've had pre production semi's in use for a while now, and they make double the power of gas, or diesel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Agreed.

Daimler doesn't say they're no longer developing IC engines. They say they're not developing fundamentally new engine families. The life cycle of the existing designs will support incremental improvements for decades to come. As noted, there's only so much we can do with the basic mechanicals. I imagine tweaks to combustion chamber, valve, and cam design will continue furiously for just as long, to support.....

Development of ever-more-efficient intake, induction, exhaust, and ignition control systems is still going strong everywhere. That's what my employer does. There's no indication that marine, heavy truck, OTR, off-highway, or equipment engines will vanish. Development continues furiously -- always aimed at improving efficiency, specific power, and emissions control. No doubt the development of better engine management systems for smaller engines will continue as well.

Remember that the single greatest reason fuel-burning engines make poisons and other non-optimum by-products is the process regime transitions as RPMs change. Support for a range of RPMs is nothing but compromise. Once the need to run at anything other than a single, optimally efficient speed is gone, it's possible to do things with fine-tuning an engine that are totally impossible when the engine is connected to the wheels, no matter how many gears there are. What do you do with that single RPM, super-efficient engine?

You hook it up to a super-efficient generator that also wants to run at the one single speed and you make electricity.

I believe fuel-burning engines will exist as the alternate -- and long range -- recharging system components of hybrids until such time as a system for storing energy at substantially higher -- read, orders of magnitude higher -- densities is found. And that, unfortunately, is still science fiction.

JMHO
Well said and well founded.

Nathionwide transition to stand alone EV's is the wet dream of many. The same many who know nothing of thermodynamics who think windmills and solar power are viable. The same many who revile nuclear power.

·
Premium Member
12,396 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hydrogen power is a much better alternative, they've had pre production semi's in use for a while now, and they make double the power of gas, or diesel.
I think one of the things that will keep hydrogen relevant is the fact that wind turbines tend to produce energy when there's less demand (at night). Storing large quantities of wind energy produced at night is a big challenge. Using excess energy from wind turbines produced at night to produce hydrogen is one solution to the problem. What would we do with this hydrogen though? Would it make more sense to send that to gas power plants so daytime energy production is increased to make up for the reduced wind power production during the day or do we ship the fuel to filling stations instead?

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
I think one of the things that will keep hydrogen relevant is the fact that wind turbines tend to produce energy when there's less demand (at night). Storing large quantities of wind energy produced at night is a big challenge. Using excess energy from wind turbines produced at night to produce hydrogen is one solution to the problem. What would we do with this hydrogen though? Would it make more sense to send that to gas power plants so daytime energy production is increased to make up for the reduced wind power production during the day or do we ship the fuel to filling stations instead?
I don't understand the technology, and storage etc. But I just read another article and it seems I got my figures wrong. Apparently Hydrogen is 10X more energy than fossil fuels, and in a drag race pulling trailers the Hydrogen Semi was 2X as fast as the Diesel Semi. Pretty impressive!

The problem as I see it is and will always be how do we replace the lost revenue in tax dollars when one industry "OIL" shuts down there will be a multi Trillion dollar deficit in our budget.

Our Gov has to have a way to monitor/control the distribution of everything or they will not allow it to exist. IE Crack, and Cocaine are illegal and Booze is not. Why, because they can control the distribution and make money. The only difference between a crackhead and an Alcoholic is prison...

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
I think one of the things that will keep hydrogen relevant is the fact that wind turbines tend to produce energy when there's less demand (at night). Storing large quantities of wind energy produced at night is a big challenge.
Oh, that would be easy to fix. Make the electrons travel slower, so they reach the destination just in time for the increased demand.

How to slow them down? Heat. Electrons travel slower in a hot conductor.
How to create the heat? Use smaller wires, which is also a cost saving.
A win, win, really.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thier is no simple answer to electric perfection yet.
You cant slow it down, as it needs to be 60 cycles a second, look at ur name plates. Switches and equipment will open up at 58 cycles.
DC uses the hole wire AC uses only the outside part called the skin effect. Electric travels at the speed of light.
1, wind works where and when wind blows and shuts off if to high
2, solar works when sun shines
The 2 would be killer expensive 2 store energy to power a substation overnight
3, natural gas is used
4, nuclier
5 diesel
6, coal
7, hydrogen would be cool
8, forgot water, is hydro, great for always flowing places
9, one could us ocean 2 times a day in and out tides , and some do
I just know no simple answer yet, besides sit in the dark
It's such a touchy thing that generating stations have jet engines sitting by to start up in a second to help with peek times
I'm trying to help explain not hurt any feelings or start a argument
Happy trails

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Nothing like running a trucked diesel and LNG generation plant full tilt to create electricity so you can plug your car in, makes sense to me. (No energy loss there) uh huh! Government screw heads are pushing it here for their car fleet and civilians. They give themselves fancy sounding titles and are qualified for F all.:spank:

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
N it's because most consumers are not intelligent enough to understand where electricity comes from. All they know is that someone told them its "green" so it must be ok. Never mind the infrastructure that would need overhauling and on and on and on.

21 - 40 of 102 Posts