Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I live in Colorado and was thinking about doing a muffler delete on my 06 5.9. Could not find any emissions laws to see if I would fail emissions because of visual inspection. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 68RFE 4 inch lift
1,343 Posts
You have a CAT in the down pipe, so changing the muffler will be fine.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,567 Posts
wouldn't the 06 have the same set up as the 04.5 early 07..? with the football cat, post downpipe? there's nothing inside the factory downpipe except soot.

·
Premium Member
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 68RFE 4 inch lift
1,343 Posts
I’m sorry, I got this mixed up. Never mind what I wrote.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,567 Posts
are you asking if there is a chance of failing a visual, during the yearly inspection, if you remove the cat?

3,161 Posts
wouldn't the 06 have the same set up as the 04.5 early 07..? with the football cat, post downpipe? there's nothing inside the factory downpipe except soot.

^^^ This is correct.

Jacobstrom, if your catalytic converter is gone, you won't pass a visual emissions test.

Deleting the muffler won't affect an emissions test but the truck will be loud and they may ding you on that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^^ This is correct.

Jacobstrom, if your catalytic converter is gone, you won't pass a visual emissions test.

Deleting the muffler won't affect an emissions test but the truck will be loud and they may ding you on that.
Ya I was going to keep my cats on and just remove muffler

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
Ya I was going to keep my cats on and just remove muffler
You can go with a less restrictive muffler. No muffler's going to be loud and negatively yours and other's hearing. Take it from an old coot,protect your hearing. It's a cumulative loss starting from adolescence. Loud's obnoxious not power enhancing.

·
Trying to learn
7,909 Posts

Usually visual means it needs to have whatever it came with new.

Reactions: Dude_57

·
Clayton @ DDP Motorsports
3,814 Posts
Like @tryNto stated it does depend on how strict your inspection place is but some places if they don't see what it had as factory that actually knows what they are looking at they will fail you. i havent seen this too often but they are out there. Most of the time from what i have been told you "shouldn't" have a problem without a muffler but like stated above, they may ding you for the noise if they realize that it sounds different then the others.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts