Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Emissions!!!!

2183 Views 13 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  overthehill
So i go to renew my tabs this year and come to find out WA state passed an emissions law for 98 and newer diesels along with CA!! So i call the emissions testing place and he tells me my truck should have a EGR in it and a CAT!! And for modifying my engine i can get penalized up to $70k!!! I said what?? Im pretty sure pre 07 dodges never came with an EGR and i didnt think they came with a CAT unless theyre from cali??? Then he goes on to tell me that they have been testing diesel emissions since 1990 and only stock trucks will pass because only %40 of stock trucks pass!! Sorry it just:spank: pi$$ed me off that they he said all that and wanted to share with yall the future of our country!!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,120 Posts
is there any leeway like up hear in b.c. canada they call it air care up hear and if you bump your gvw up to 5100 kg you are heavy enough to not have to deal with the emission stuff every year but still light enough that you dont have to hit the big rig scales for me it ads like $70 a year on to my insurance

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where are the loop hole??

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So i looked at that website and couldnt find were there were "loop holes"??? IDK if i changed my gvw if that would help or not theyre gettin so rediculouse!!

· Registered
79 Posts
And yet another reason to not go around blowin black smoke on people. It can only get worse.

· Registered
1,300 Posts
So i call the emissions testing place and he tells me my truck should have a EGR in it and a CAT!!
That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Mine has a completely stock, original exhaust and has no EGR or CAT. I have to get mine done today sometime. I HATE that snap test although I don't think it really hurts anything if you are warmed up good.

· Registered
9,857 Posts
they are full of $hit about the EGR and cat. 04 and newer had a cat, and the 6.7L started the EGR. as for passing emissions, its easy as pie. turn your box down and do the dumb snap test then soon as you go to pull out and leave with your pass paper, crank the chip up and black the place out! :hehe:

· Registered
1,550 Posts
they are full of $hit about the EGR and cat. 04 and newer had a cat, and the 6.7L started the EGR. as for passing emissions, its easy as pie. turn your box down and do the dumb snap test then soon as you go to pull out and leave with your pass paper, crank the chip up and black the place out! :hehe:
hahahahahaha i like the way you think! :thumbsup: :rof

· Registered
1,002 Posts
According to my Colorado emissions test it says that air/fuel adjustments, boost compensation aneroid, catalytic converter, positive crankcase ventilation, and exhaust gas recirculation are NOT APPLICABLE to my truck. The only emissions device it lists is the engine electronic controls, in which I have my Edge Module mounted right on the dash and it still passes. Mind you I turn it to 0 when I take it in for testing but they never say a thing about it. Ours is an opacity test. My truck scored 1% at 60mph, 11% at 50mph, 8% at 40mph, and 2% at zero shift which was passing. My understanding is it cannot produce more than 35% opacity for 1 second. So I am in the clear.

· Registered
434 Posts
you should be fine... i just had to do mine in peirce county and all they do is a snap test and put an opacity meter by the tail pipe. I just turned off my quadzilla and set the smarty to 1/2 power. then when they say floor it, just ease into it so ur turbo spools a little before you really snap it. You are allowed an opacity score of 40 and my truck only scored 3, and thats with 110HP injectors and a HRVP, 62mm turbo, and 5" straight pipe. there was no visual inspection or anything... didnt even pop the hood. And nobody commented on how ridiculously loud it was either, or the soot build up that was on the rear fender... or the gauges on the pillar... or the quad pulse moniter in the windshield... or the smarty programmer that was sitting on the center counsel... Then like jigabop said, crank 'er up and leave a cloud when you leave. What a F'n joke!!

· Registered
29 Posts
This is from the Washington State Dept. of Ecology site.

•1996 and newer gasoline vehicles under 8501 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR).

These vehicles will receive an on-board diagnostic (OBD) test where the testing station's computer will easily and safely connect to your vehicle's computer to receive either passing or failing (trouble code) information on your vehicle.

•1995 and older gasoline vehicles under 8501 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) with two-wheel or part-time four wheel drive.

These vehicles will receive an Acceleration Simulation Mode (ASM) test. These vehicles are tested on a dynamometer. All front wheel drive vehicles will be operated by inspection personnel. Motorists may operate rear wheel drive vehicles on the dynamometer. These vehicles also receive a gas cap test to verify that the gas cap seal is functional.

•Gasoline vehicles over 8500 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) or any 1995 and older vehicle with constant 4x4 (all wheel drive) or traction control.

These vehicles will receive a two-speed idle test. The vehicle will not be driven on a dynamometer. The motorist will be instructed to reach required RPM levels while the vehicle idles in park or neutral (depending on the transmission or model-year type of vehicle). These vehicles also receive a gas cap test to verify that the gas cap seal is functional.

•Diesel vehicles under 8501 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) with two-wheel or part-time four wheel drive.

These vehicles will receive an opacity test that measures the density (opacity) of exhaust as it exits the vehicle's tailpipe. The vehicle is tested on a dynamometer. All front wheel drive vehicles will be operated by inspection personnel. Motorists may operate rear wheel drive vehicles on the dynamometer.

•Diesel vehicles under 8501 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) with constant 4x4 (all wheel drive) or traction control.

These vehicles will receive an opacity test that measures the density (opacity) of exhaust as it exits the vehicle's tailpipe. The vehicle will not be driven on a dynamometer. The motorist will be instructed to reach required RPM levels while the vehicle idles in park or neutral (depending on the transmission or model-year type of vehicle).

•Diesel vehicles over 8500 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). These vehicles will receive a snap acceleration test.

The vehicle exhaust's density (opacity) will be measured as it exits the vehicle's tailpipe. The vehicle will not be driven on a dynamometer. The motorist will be instructed to press down on the accelerator and immediatly release it while the vehicle idles in park or neutral (depending on the transmission or model-year type of vehicle).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.