Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a new starter in my truck two weeks ago. When I went to start it afterwards I got a click and the horn went off and wouldn't stop until I pulled to horn fuse or relay. Got digging into it and couldn't find a cause. I even pulled to new starter, took it back and had it tested to make sure I didn't get a bad one. It was fine, put it back in and the problem was gone. Truck has started greater than ever for the last two weeks. I went out tonight to run to the store and it did the same thing again. I had just been out 20 minutes earlier with no problems...not even a slow start. When it does this it blows the 40 amp Ingnition Run fuse in the fuse box by the battery and the horn goes off continuously until I disconnect the power to it. Wires on the starter are not touching or shorting out on anything. Anybody ever had this happen or have a solution? I need my truck to get to work in the morning. HELP!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody got anything?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I'm trying to keep this at the top of the list.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
I would check the start wire on the starter and see if it is rubbed through somewhere and making contact with ground. What is your battery voltage??:confused013:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
batteries and alternator working great. Everything electrical still working like normal. No warning lights or anything.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
You might check the starter relay if you have not already. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
480 Posts
have tilt steering wheel?? if so wires could have rubbed through in the steering column

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked it last time. It doesn't appear to be bad or burnt. Going to crawl underneath and trace the starter wire back to see if I see anything there. Its in conduit though so I'm not expecting to find anything.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Giving it up for tonight. I'm out of fuses to blow, can't find a short anywhere and my horn is keeping the neghbors up. If anybody's got anymore ideas let me know. I'll be back on tomorrow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts