Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so i was driving out of my apt complex when i came to our gate which for some reason is broken its like 25 degress out side with 25mph winds and i was pissed so i kinda slamed on the emergency brake when i parked being i have a standard.. now when i press it it feels like it has no pressure...how hard is it to look or fix the emergency brake pedal?

·
Registered
19 Posts
the e-brake line runs along the driver side frame rail. look under the truck to see if you can find anyplace it is broken..

im line was broke when i bought my truck and when i pushed on the pedal there was no pressure, also when i released it it never came back up i had to pull it up.

Reactions: CGCampbell07

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
I try to not take my temper out on my vehicles because it inevitably always seems to cause me to have to fix something.

Get under the truck and look to make sure the cable routing is still good and that the cable is intact. You may just get away with readjusting it.:thumbsup:

Reactions: CGCampbell07

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
its also not an emergency brake, its a parking brake. says so in the manual.
I sure as heck wouldn't trust it in an emergency it barely holds parking it. and thats after adjusting the hell out of it too.
if you need to adjust it
jack up the rear end and pull out the rear most rubber plug on the back of the drum.
turn that star wheel till you can barely spin the tire, back it off just a tad (use a couple small flat heads one to turn the wheel and the other to push the locking mechanism off of it so you can loosen the brake a tad)
then go set your parking brake (not too far down)
then turn the wheels backwards, use your lug wrench if you need to, you should hear that mother click a few times
when it stops clicking plug it back up and repeat the same steps for the other tire.
should hold a bit better.
from then on every now and then back the truck up and bring her to a stop with the parking brake, it will auto adjust the drums.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I try to not take my temper out on my vehicles because it inevitably always seems to cause me to have to fix something.

Get under the truck and look to make sure the cable routing is still good and that the cable is intact. You may just get away with readjusting it.:thumbsup:
I remember reading a while back that you shouldn't adjust the brake in this manner. plus if the pads are not making good contact with the drum to begin with then this would not give much help. and that I can tell you from experience as my pads were in this condition and I took all the slack out of the cable adjuster only to still have no decent parking brake. I pulled the drums off with my trusty sledge hammer (I was gentle Thor knows some grace) and the pads looked like they were barely used.

although rereading everything slack would indicate the spring inside the drums are unable to retract.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts

NOW you TELL ME, I NEW i shouldn't have pushed the pedal to the floor:banghead::rof

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys for the help i believe i broke a spring but will check it out as soon at temp go back up to at least 70 again its like 22 right now here in austin tx... and emergency brake and parking brake same diff its like flash drive and jump drive just different names they do the same....plus my "Parking brake" works pretty good well it did

·
Hemi
12,666 Posts
I have never adjusted mine and it always holds great :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
I remember reading a while back that you shouldn't adjust the brake in this manner. plus if the pads are not making good contact with the drum to begin with then this would not give much help. and that I can tell you from experience as my pads were in this condition and I took all the slack out of the cable adjuster only to still have no decent parking brake. I pulled the drums off with my trusty sledge hammer (I was gentle Thor knows some grace) and the pads looked like they were barely used.

although rereading everything slack would indicate the spring inside the drums are unable to retract.
You're absolutely right that change in the e-brake slack is from the shoes wearing over time. Thats where the start adjuster comes in. If the star wheel is working right then the e-brake and brakes should feel good. That doesn't mean that you're not supposed to keep the cable snugged up to since its going to stretch a little.

Also, just to note that the best or easiest way to get the drums off is to jack up both rear tires and set the axle on stands. Take of the wheels but then put a couple lug nuts back on, but only about 1/4 to 1/2 way on. Then turn the truck on, release the e-brake, and put it in gear. While the drums are spinning, slam on the brakes. The drums should try to fly off which is why you need the few lug nuts in place to hold the drums from just doing that. With that said, even though I said "slam" on the brakes, I'd refrain from trying to shove your foot through the floor board and causing more problems. This process is easier and less damaging to your drums by having to beat them off with a hammer.:thumbsup:

Reactions: dozer12216

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
NOW you TELL ME, I NEW i shouldn't have pushed the pedal to the floor:banghead::rof
Middle finger to thumb.....middle finger to thumb.....and take a deep breath.:hehe:

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
I have never adjusted mine and it always holds great :thumbsup:
mjd91, are you an Oprah fan? I'm trying to understand whats with your sig.:confused013:

·
Hemi
12,666 Posts
No lol my truck is big and black. :thumbsup:
I though about trying to get it on the plates but I don't think anybody would understand. :hehe::hehe:

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
No lol my truck is big and black. :thumbsup:
I though about trying to get it on the plates but I don't think anybody would understand. :hehe::hehe:
:hehe::rofI am sooooo glad I wasn't eating or drinking when I read that otherwise I would have peppered my monitor.:rof:hehe:

Reactions: mjd91

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
You're absolutely right that change in the e-brake slack is from the shoes wearing over time. Thats where the start adjuster comes in. If the star wheel is working right then the e-brake and brakes should feel good. That doesn't mean that you're not supposed to keep the cable snugged up to since its going to stretch a little.

Also, just to note that the best or easiest way to get the drums off is to jack up both rear tires and set the axle on stands. Take of the wheels but then put a couple lug nuts back on, but only about 1/4 to 1/2 way on. Then turn the truck on, release the e-brake, and put it in gear. While the drums are spinning, slam on the brakes. The drums should try to fly off which is why you need the few lug nuts in place to hold the drums from just doing that. With that said, even though I said "slam" on the brakes, I'd refrain from trying to shove your foot through the floor board and causing more problems. This process is easier and less damaging to your drums by having to beat them off with a hammer.:thumbsup:
if I had a level driveway to work on or a shop for that matter I probably would have done that.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
guys where can i get the cable..shop said its to far strecthed they want 310 to buy a calbes and installed. i mean 80 bucks for one side and 50 for the other sounds bs.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I didnt take the time to read all the posts, but have you tried driving in reverse and then braking hard? It supposedly resets the pads in the drums, or at least thats what an old timer mechanic told me...

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Cables streched so bad can't use. That is a new one to me. Now if they hang I could understand. There is nearly 5 inches of adjustment on cable.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i will post pics of the cables as soon as i get the truck back. sucks i need my state inspection but it still holds.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
there is alot of play where you can readjust, crap my cable snapped, and i used some U bolts to re attach them together.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts