Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help here. I have been having an intermittent problem with my stock 08 2500 6.7l that the dealer does not seem to be able to help me with.
Intermittently (maybe once every 50 to 200 miles) while driving down the freeway usually at 70 mph or above my truck will miss (buck) and the ETC warning light will come on. When the vehicle is shut off and restarted the indicator is goes out. The last time I had it in the dealership (3rd time) after a week they came up with the conclusion my batteries needed to be replaced so I ok'd that. This took care of some other issues that were starting to happen and reduced the frequency of the ETC light, but did not eliminate it.
Every time when I take it in for service, they tell me there are no error codes and give me the bill for their great advice. This last time the ETC indicator came on while on my way to the dealership, so I left it idling while I went in and got the manager and their laptop to see what the error code was. They tell me there are no error codes in the system even though the ETC light on the dash was on.
The dealer tells me that Dodge support is telling them that this is a result of driving 2 footed (brake and gas pedal simultaneously), which I have assured them at this is not the case, especially because it will also happen while using cruise control. I would appreciate any help if anybody else has experienced this issue.

Thanks,
JPapke

·
Registered
23 Posts
this happened to me a few weeks ago and the battery terminals (passenger side) were slightly corroded. Cleaned the terminals and no problems! Check the cheap stuff first!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@keenexploration, i found the battery terminals were tight, and I checked all other connections under the hood, all looked good. Problem popped up 3 times today on the way to work, but only if the speed is 70 or above, not sure of the correlation of the speed with this problem and that is what is puzzling me.
Was the problem that you experienced at or above 70 mph or was is lower?

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Checking the battery terminal connections and crossover cables is a good start but you also need to check/clean/protect all the positive connections (ecm, tipm etc) and all the grounds (chassis, ecm, fenderwell etc).

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts
Check and clean the map, maf, iat, and egr sensors. Multiple things can cause it.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Well...I've got a weird one for ya:

A few weeks ago, we got about 10" of snow. I was out driving around checking out the sights, and like with all deep snow, my brakes would freeze up from all the snow. I got a mile or so from home and decided to ride my brakes to melt off what I could so they wouldn't freeze solid while parked.

I put light pressure on the brake pedal and continued driving. After about 200 yards, the ETC light came on. As soon as it did, I let off the brake and the light went off. It's never came on before, and hasn't come back on since.

Weird

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Not weird at all. It's the ECM telling you not to be on the brake and throttle at the same time.
Same thing happens if you do the brake/boost launch from a stop.

Reactions: ATC

·
Premium Member
7,027 Posts
Looking for some help here. I have been having an intermittent problem with my stock 08 2500 6.7l that the dealer does not seem to be able to help me with.
Intermittently (maybe once every 50 to 200 miles) while driving down the freeway usually at 70 mph or above my truck will miss (buck) and the ETC warning light will come on. When the vehicle is shut off and restarted the indicator is goes out. The last time I had it in the dealership (3rd time) after a week they came up with the conclusion my batteries needed to be replaced so I ok'd that. This took care of some other issues that were starting to happen and reduced the frequency of the ETC light, but did not eliminate it.
Every time when I take it in for service, they tell me there are no error codes and give me the bill for their great advice. This last time the ETC indicator came on while on my way to the dealership, so I left it idling while I went in and got the manager and their laptop to see what the error code was. They tell me there are no error codes in the system even though the ETC light on the dash was on.
The dealer tells me that Dodge support is telling them that this is a result of driving 2 footed (brake and gas pedal simultaneously), which I have assured them at this is not the case, especially because it will also happen while using cruise control. I would appreciate any help if anybody else has experienced this issue.

Thanks,
JPapke
Did it just start this recently? Does it only do this when the cruise is set or will it do it intermittently with the accelerator pushed?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Not weird at all. It's the ECM telling you not to be on the brake and throttle at the same time.
Same thing happens if you do the brake/boost launch from a stop.

Ahh....I never knew that.

I kinda wish all vehicles had that. You wouldn't believe the amount of people around here who rest their left foot on the brakes just driving down the road :spank:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine has done that with bad battery connections.
Be sure to check where the clamps attach to the cables as well, that has been an issue. Also, check the batt temp sensor under the drivers side battery. make sure there isn't trash around it.
I also have had the ETC indicator come on when the fuel filter is restricted. Seen that several times in 3 different trucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.