Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Electronic engine moniters-Please everyone read

1255 Views 18 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  flubyux2
There is something i would like to clear up once and for all. I have seen a few threads that were never anwsered about will electronic engine moniters such as the bully dog watchdog work on our trucks since they state it will work on any 96 and later truck with an obdII port. They have a egt probe and i would imagine probes for trans temp and boost pressure. So someone let us know whether it will work on our trucks or not.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
370 Posts
I think they would work. i mean you can put electronic boost guages in are trucks so why couldnt you put a bully dog monitor in it and are pytometer and trans temp are already electronic so i dont see why it wouldnt work

· Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think they would work. i mean you can put electronic boost guages in are trucks so why couldnt you put a bully dog monitor in it and are pytometer and trans temp are already electronic so i dont see why it wouldnt work
Are you saying that the computer on our trucks already reads trans and boost temp?

What exactly would be transmitted with the obdII port other than simple things such as speed and tach, batt or would it even display them?

I have been reading alot about the watchdog and i think they only sell a probe for the egt's so i don't think there would be any way to get it to display trans temp or boost.

I am going to email bully dog tonight and get a clear answer so everyone will know.

· Registered
9,910 Posts
the stock PCM in our trucks are VERY limited. I dont know exactly what all can be read out of the OBDII port but i imagine you could get water temp, speed and rpm (pretty much the only signals the PCM works with)

As for boost, pyro, (possibly water temp) you would need 'standalone' sending units for these

· Registered
370 Posts
no are trucks hardly even have a computer. some ppl call it one but it only really reads sensors such as the cam possition censor and the alternator current goes through the voltage regulator in the Computer(ECM) if you tapped your manifold and put a probe in it you should be able to hook it up to the bully dog but im not sure. you could probably call bully dog dirrect and they might know(Bully Dog 1-866-285-5936 M-F 8am-5pm MST) If you have anymore questions man just let me know and all do the best I can to help you figure it out....Taylor!

· Registered
9,910 Posts
a 12v does not have a cam position sensor and the 'computer' is called a PCM. a 98+ truck with an electronic engine has a ECM

· Registered
370 Posts
Are you saying that the computer on our trucks already reads trans and boost temp?

What exactly would be transmitted with the obdII port other than simple things such as speed and tach, batt or would it even display them?

I have been reading alot about the watchdog and i think they only sell a probe for the egt's so i don't think there would be any way to get it to display trans temp or boost.

I am going to email bully dog tonight and get a clear answer so everyone will know.
I just got off the phone with bully dog and they said the outlook will only work on 98.5 and up

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
The only functions that can be read off the PCM on the 12 valves are auto trans temp, intake air temp, coolant temp and oil pressure.

· Registered
1,276 Posts
That's not necesarily true. I hooked up a scan tool to my port and read alot of info. I was mainly focused on tranny stuff so I was reading trans temps, trans pressure, backup light operation, tcc solenoid operation, and some other stuff. I was reading it in real-time as I was driving and it showed up as a scrolling line graph and numbers underneath. I think it would only display 4 items at once but I did confirm that my gov solenoid and tcc solenoid were turning on and off erratically which is how I confirmed I had rfi from worn alternator brushes.

· Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's not necesarily true. I hooked up a scan tool to my port and read alot of info. I was mainly focused on tranny stuff so I was reading trans temps, trans pressure, backup light operation, tcc solenoid operation, and some other stuff. I was reading it in real-time as I was driving and it showed up as a scrolling line graph and numbers underneath. I think it would only display 4 items at once but I did confirm that my gov solenoid and tcc solenoid were turning on and off erratically which is how I confirmed I had rfi from worn alternator brushes.

Well thats interesting maybe these computers put out more than what was belived

· Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got off the phone with bully dog and they said the outlook will only work on 98.5 and up
did you ask if they sold a sender for boost because if so they already sell the pyro and it sounds like the truck reads the trans temp so that would give you your three main gauges.

· Registered
370 Posts
did you ask if they sold a sender for boost because if so they already sell the pyro and it sounds like the truck reads the trans temp so that would give you your three main gauges.
I didnt but from what the guy said it will only work on 98.5and up I didnt get into detail with him I just took his answer and got off the phone

· Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

· Registered
218 Posts
Did you use OBDII scan tool or something else? I tried OBDII tool on 96' few times but all it said was "communication link error"

· Registered
1,763 Posts
The original question in this thread was about an electronic engine monitor with the OBDII tool port. The answer to that is NO. There are some aftermarket things that will show EGT, boost and whatever but sensors have to be installed for them.

· Registered
1,276 Posts
Joe is 100% correct. Our ports will read lots of diff parameters but none of which are boost and egt. Aux probes and sensors will need spliced in.

I think it was a Sunnen scantool. This was about 3 years ago. It has diff chips you plug into a port depending on what care you're working on. My friend "borrowed" it from his old shop right before they downsized him. It's one of thos $2500+ scanners. Not something an average Joe will want to install.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.