Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im kickin the electrical problem in the but. i got the dash off, all harnesses untaped and there are more burnt wires than dopies at a willie nelson concert:shock: my question is do i need to get all new harness' or can i rerun wires or what? also any help/tips or advice would be great

ryan

· Registered
419 Posts
You have to ask yourself what makes more sense. You can certainly cut out individual burned up wires and replace them with the same gauge wire. Or you can just get the full harness and replace the whole thing. It just all depends on whether you want to deal with splicing in a bunch of wires, it requires a lot of patience. I've done it before on one of my cars and its not very fun squeezing yourself under the dash to get to them. But it did make the harness last long enough for me to get the money together for a full front to back new one. If money is tight then it might make sense to fix it and then replace it when you have the means. But if you do have the cash, I wouldn't bother with fixing it.

· Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do yall have any idea where i could find one. and i think it was the previous owner. like all the pink wires(constant power) are burnt. and the black wires are burnt and some yellow are burnt

· Registered
243 Posts
O.O wow man, no wonder you're having issues :( You can rerun wires for now, but I would look to replacing it, check the parts for sale section here, someone is bound to be parting one with a harness for you.

· 1ST GEN
11,549 Posts
I decide on replacement based on the amount of damage I see in a harness. If its just a few wires burnt. I normaly just repair in place. If it is many burnt. I look for a another harness.

A few months back I could have helped. I gave away a conmplete harness for a W250. It was dash and engine bay harness from a LE model.

· Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im bout to have an 86. will everything work except for the wait to start and those lights? cuz im really really short on cash right now

· Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I decide on replacement based on the amount of damage I see in a harness. If its just a few wires burnt. I normaly just repair in place. If it is many burnt. I look for a another harness.

A few months back I could have helped. I gave away a conmplete harness for a W250. It was dash and engine bay harness from a LE model.
since you have done the work tell me this. my black wires are burnt. pink wires are burnt and yellow wires are burnt. could this be why my radio wasn't working?

· Registered
3,609 Posts
I made my own "harness" for real cheap. I don't think that there is a circuit on the truck that I haven't added a switch, relay or dongle of some sort onto.

The only problem with doing that is you get more of a "rat-nest" than a "harness" proper.

· Registered
250 Posts
Then repair it for now... one wire at a time and use solder and heat shrink... crimp connectors and electrical tape is not a proper repair...

· Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok gotta question. why is that if i run a seperate power cord from the radio straight to the battery with a switch on it, that the parking lights blow the fuse??? i think im gonna re wire the entire system over on its own. run wires to battery, one constant and one on a switch. then run my own speaker wires to my speaker box behind the seat. maybe this wont blow the fuse

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.