Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to hook up an override switch to my foglights. I have the stockers, plus two extra hellas. The extras are on a separate relay with the switch power coming from the stock supply to the stock lights. However like all you know you cant have your high beams + the foggers on at the same time (without buying the bright box which is too expensive for me) . So what I want to do is leave the foggers hooked to the low beams for the normal function( I will use this most of the time), but I want to hook in a toggle switch that will send juice to the foggers no matter what the headlights are doing. I want to know if the proposed extra bypass switch will feed back through the stock relay and into the stock harness. I know it will cause the extra relay to switch on but that shouldnt cause any problems.
I tried to help by drawing it out. Hopefully the pic works.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
You can go on this site to find out the pin outs from the stock switch and wire it to your toggle. www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/year.pdf Hope it will help you. Might be easier to rob power from that switch then running a new wire and relay setup.

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you wire in a switch/relay between the stockers and their relay i think that would work for what you wanna do. As the power wont go back through the relay.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can have the dealership reprogram your computer so that the fogs will stay on when you put your highs on. I had my dealership program mine so that my low beams stay on when I put on my high beams. It eliminates the dark patch directly infront of you that I would notice when I put my high beams on and the low beams would go off. I also had them program my radio so that it would stay on for a few minutes after I shut off my truck but before I opened either of the front doors. There is a whole list of things they can do to your truck with the computer they have. Reasearch it here and take the info into them. I find the techs usually know less than I do about the trucks they work on everyday!!

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can have the dealership reprogram your computer so that the fogs will stay on when you put your highs on. I had my dealership program mine so that my low beams stay on when I put on my high beams. It eliminates the dark patch directly infront of you that I would notice when I put my high beams on and the low beams would go off. I also had them program my radio so that it would stay on for a few minutes after I shut off my truck but before I opened either of the front doors. There is a whole list of things they can do to your truck with the computer they have. Reasearch it here and take the info into them. I find the techs usually know less than I do about the trucks they work on everyday!!
Both my dealers said "It was illegal and not possible", i showed them how to do it with the DRBIII and they still said no so i did this.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Most dealers will not do that as it is, in fact, illegal to run ANY extra lighting while in high beam. I am new to the dodge world, but on the ford Super Duty trucks, the truck wiring breaks the negative feed to the fog lights when the high beams are turned on. To verify this, all you need to do is take a meter from batt pos to the fog.light ground and see if you lose 12v when you go.to high beam. If you do, then all you have to do is break the ground behind your fogs and tie that wire to a frame ground. For what it is worth, I had a set.of.windshield mounted drivig lights on my wrangler and had them on a three position switch, on with fog lights, off, and on with high beams. I can whip up a basic schematic for you if you want something along these lines, or any setup you want. Shoot me a pm and I will gladly hook you up and post it here for everyone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Seems so ridiculous that having the driving lights ON when the High beams are On is illegal. I'm not saying it isn't illegal, just ridiculous. In B.C. it's illegal to drive on a highway with more than two forward facing lights but alot of people drive with their fog/driving lights on as well as their headlights. Just seems backwards to me. You want the most light on the road when no one else is ahead of you. Sorry for the rant, back to the topic please...........

·
Registered
204 Posts
You guys that run the fog/running lights all the time ever give any though to the oncoming cars that have all that light in their face? Why not do everyone a favour and turn off the fog/driving lights when approaching oncoming traffic. There is a reason its illegal in most places and why the manufacturer doesn't do it.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
You guys that run the fog/running lights all the time ever give any though to the oncoming cars that have all that light in their face? Why not do everyone a favour and turn off the fog/driving lights when approaching oncoming traffic. There is a reason its illegal in most places and why the manufacturer doesn't do it.
Mine is on a switch, and it isnt used while im in the city.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey Grumpy, The manufacturer does do it! The OP is talking about the fogs on with the HIGH beams. The manufacturers and the "law" only allow them on with the low beams. I agree with you, all that light coming at you is a pss off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts