Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I may have a bigger problem than I can handle.
I have an 04 Cummins 2wd that has been in water. I have been over every connection I can find. Cleaned and lubricated everyone I could get disconnected. I still have no power to inst. cluster, horn, radio, starter solenoid, blower motor, int lamp, and others.
Checked all relays, fuses etc. Checked the multi switch and cleaned. The cpu not sure what computers are called attached to the block sealed? They looked clean and not corroded when I checked them. Any hints or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Oh and the headlights are staying on all the time when the ignition switch is on????? I have power to windows tail lights and just a few other things.

Help I’m loosing this electrical battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil

·
Registered
732 Posts
you have an unwanted short to ground some where. you might have a problem with your starter switch. when you turn the key on does anything come on. if you can find the starter relay try touching the points together. if it turns over then you prolly have a probelm with ign. swtich. if it doesnt turn over then you could have a problem with the starter relay.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Hey guys I may have a bigger problem than I can handle.
I have an 04 Cummins 2wd that has been in water. I have been over every connection I can find. Cleaned and lubricated everyone I could get disconnected. I still have no power to inst. cluster, horn, radio, starter solenoid, blower motor, int lamp, and others.
Checked all relays, fuses etc. Checked the multi switch and cleaned. The cpu not sure what computers are called attached to the block sealed? They looked clean and not corroded when I checked them. Any hints or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Oh and the headlights are staying on all the time when the ignition switch is on????? I have power to windows tail lights and just a few other things.

Help I’m loosing this electrical battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil
If you are not blowing fuses you do not have a short. It sounds if you have a problem with a ground or your distribution block.

I need more info on the water getting in or on the truck as you mentioned.:thumbsup

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
more on the water situation

If you are not blowing fuses you do not have a short. It sounds if you have a problem with a ground or your distribution block.

I need more info on the water getting in or on the truck as you mentioned.:thumbsup
This is a salvage that was in a river flood. Water looks like it was up to the bottom of the dash. Doesn't look like it was in the fuse box, but does have some corrosion inside on the multi switch area. From humidity I think. . I have cleaned that but it still could be bad I guess. Blower motor was frozen but was able to take it off and free it up. Water was still in the carpets after about 6 mos now. Just got the truck last week from auction. Those silly headlights staying on trouble me. I have not found any blown fuses or relays. I'll keep looking just feel like I'm missing it somewhere. Hopefully will be simple when I find it. Thanks for the replies.
Phil

·
Registered
86 Posts
there is a front control module on the front side of the under hood power distribution center (usually silver in color and real thin), remove it and see what happens... from there is where all your lights and whatnot are controlled by transistors...

·
Registered
4 Posts
My truck did something similar when the body control modual went out after a sterio shop spiked the electrical system. However in my case it took out every modual in the bus/can loop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

This is a salvage that was in a river flood. Water looks like it was up to the bottom of the dash. Doesn't look like it was in the fuse box, but does have some corrosion inside on the multi switch area. From humidity I think. . I have cleaned that but it still could be bad I guess. Blower motor was frozen but was able to take it off and free it up. Water was still in the carpets after about 6 mos now. Just got the truck last week from auction. Those silly headlights staying on trouble me. I have not found any blown fuses or relays. I'll keep looking just feel like I'm missing it somewhere. Hopefully will be simple when I find it. Thanks for the replies.
Phil
I went ahead and got a new multi switch. I'm not sure if that will do it or not, but it eliminates 1 more thing.
I'll let everyone know when I know.

·
Registered
732 Posts
do you have a wireing diagram. i think that could speed things up real fast. i saw a website on here some where that has free wireing diagrams for our trucks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

do you have a wireing diagram. i think that could speed things up real fast. i saw a website on here some where that has free wireing diagrams for our trucks
I only have the one in the back of the Haynes book. I hope to have good news tomorrow. If not I'll keep looking.
Phil

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I only have the one in the back of the Haynes book. I hope to have good news tomorrow. If not I'll keep looking.
Phil
Do not use the haynes, they are not correct.

The power modules probley got shorted out by the water and since they are soild state they wont blow a fuse.

Also dont try to start the engine, take all the injectors out and number they before you do and turn the over the injectors out and the fuel fuse taken out.

This will insure that you do not have water in the cylinders. If the water is inthe cylnders and you compress the water you will bend the rods.

You need to get the factory service manuals to be able to trace all of this down and plus it will give you the correct troubleshooting steps.

Good luck. :beer

·
Registered
1 Posts
do you have a multi meter or are you just using a test light? you should be using a multimeter and testing all your wires for resistance along the circuit that is giving you issues. also you can check all the parts your replacing to see if they are good or bad, might save you some money. and if the ecm was flooded while it was energized then in is probably bad, all that solid state circuitry needs around 10,000,000 ohms of resistance between each other or it will short across and cause issues.....such as lights staying on.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
salvaged my flood salvage.

Just in case anyone is interested. I finally got my 04 running after 2 mos and several more electrical parts, ie. emc, pcm, and new instrument cluster. Aprox 700.00 worth, but I'm in this unit pretty cheap. Thanks for all the input. If anyone wants to know more, just email me.

Phil near Rome, Ga, and a running salvaged truck.:hyper:

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,668 Posts
im intereted - how many replacement parts did you have to go through before you finally replaced the right one ?

did you make a list and start buying and crossing of ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
flood truck finally running.

I am finally running after almost a year.
I replaced ecu, pcu, fuse box, injectors, and a host of
other stuff. Take a word of advise and do not by a flood
vehicle of any kind especially a dodge cummins no matter how great a deal you think it is or could be.
I spent in the neighborhood of 5k in repairs. I'm in it for around 12k all together, and it's just avg and far from perfect.

Phil

im intereted - how many replacement parts did you have to go through before you finally replaced the right one ?

did you make a list and start buying and crossing of ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts