Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody out there running an electric fan on their 6.7L, and if so have you seen any more MPG? I have run them on gas cars and have seen good improvements.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I saw that Flex-a-lite has a electric fan kit out for the 6.7L. Here is the website.

264-diesel

·
Banned
885 Posts
I'll try that puppy out..

I use lots of flexalites stuff.. i wouldn't and am not worried about trying that.

I'll let you know about pricing on this fan and if you guy's want let me know and i'll get you a deal.

Guy's there is a 18k combined disclaimer on this...

All im saying is, they have a disclaimer similar to this on some other fans.....and well im using them... but the intercooler on this might be another issue

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you do let me know how it work for you.

·
Banned
885 Posts
Absolutely, im sure they'll work great for normal blasting around, i only deal with companies that have quality products, and i predominantly use flex-a-lite.. Just the towing discalimer... figure the truck is 7k or 7300 1 of my trailers is 5k.... lets go with the heaviest car 4100, so thats a tot of 16.4k, not including me or anyone/thing else... puts me right below there 18k disclaimer...

Now my buddies boat is a whole different story and will put me over the 18k disclaimer..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It should be the good for me too. I will rarely get over the 18K, so the disclaimer should not affect me.

·
Banned
885 Posts
I'll let you know what's going on

·
Registered
479 Posts
I don't understand how it can save much gas if the regular fan clutch is working right. Wouldn't it just shift the drag to the alternator? Maybe it could get better peak power if the electrical load is covered by the battery for a few seconds under full throttle where the mechanical drive fan is taking power right off the motor. Maybe I don't understand how this stuff works.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Shafts-

Also interested in this. I posted the same question in another forum and got some bad reviews of flexalite and was told it wouldn't provide enough cooling....apparently 5200 cfm from two electric fans wasn't thought to be enough....sounds like plenty to me.

Please let me know how it works, I was mostly interested to improve mpg and A/C performance at slow speeds.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
If you tow, they dont recommend you use it, because it wont provide enough cooling. :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
ABSOLUTELY A BAD IDEA. Electric fans help efficiency when they replace a viscous clutch. The Cummins uses an electric clutch. When it's not hot, the fan draws NO LOAD on the engine except for the ball bearings. When hot enough, the clutch kicks on and provides power to the fan with a serpentine drive (97% efficiency). The electric fans lose 10-20% in heat waste at the motors, and 10-20% converting belt energy into electrical energy.

WORSE efficiency, and the fans do not provide adequate power to cool your engine. Plus those massive fans still will be REAL hard on the alternator. Good idea on a gas engine with a viscous clutch, or a direct drive, but not on a Cummins. The stock setup CANNOT be bested.

Reactions: TN6.7

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why would it be any different for a gas and diesel? It wouldn't. Your fan is still driven by the engine, and that causes drag, drag equals HP and economy. This is a link to an install on a 97 Dodge 3500, they gained power and fuel economy.

1997 Dodge Ram 3500 Electric Fan - Diesel Power Magazine

And your not going to pull enough draw on the alternators on our trucks to notice a difference.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yep, I read that article as well...I have no direct experience, but it makes sense to me. I thought our trucks had a viscous clutch?

·
Banned
885 Posts
My gas stroker crew cab is making 550ft and 500hp... it never ever see's the high side of 190..while towing 9k or 17k, the only time the fans ever come on is in traffic and when stopped or when the a/c is on.

I have tested the heat pull of the fans and pulled the fans power let the motor get to 240 and plugged the fan back in...less then 3 minutes she was back to 180...can't do that idling with a mech fan

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Directly from the service manual, applicable to both the 6.7 and 5.9.

It shouldn't be too difficult to use the signal to the electric clutch to control an electric fan setup.

The electronically controlled viscous fan drive is attached to the fan drive pulley mounted to the engine. The coupling allows the fan to be driven in a normal manner.

The Engine Control Module (ECM) controls the level of engagement of the electronically controlled viscous fan clutch by monitoring coolant temperature, intake manifold temperature, air conditioning pressure and transmission oil temperature. Based on cooling requirements, the ECM sends a signal to the viscous fan clutch to increase or decrease the fan speed.

Fan speed is monitored by the ECM. Fan speeds above or below a calibrated threshold will set a DTC. Circuit concerns will also set fan clutch DTC's.

·
Banned
885 Posts
Flex-a-lite is developing a module to work the fans with the intercooler temps also...

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
I know what SS is saying here guys about his stroker, the 7.3 Ford Stroker was the best effort Ford has done JIMO and I have a buddy who drove his 7.3 without a water pump working about 50 miles and the truck never got hot bad enough to be bad on the engine. I doubt this 6.7 with how hot the normal temp is will ever do this, but I could be wrong LOL...

Good topic guys, and great reading from everyone...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I won't be the one to try running without a water pump.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts