Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Batteries have a parasite !
As near as I can tell it is a box to the right of the steering column, a long narrow one.
There is a smaller one there too, much more EZ to get at..
This is the larger one, in front of the driver's front knee.
When i hook up the batteries it sometimes hums quietly for a second or so , but it always is sucking 12 volts.
It clicks every time i hook up the batteries.
It draws so much there is an actual small spark when hooking up the batteries,
I have no clue what this gizmo is, or what it does.
I am quick to blame it , but maybe something else is kicking it on. IDK.
I am NOT an electrical wizard by any means-so talk slow if you want to help me...LOL
Help?
Help!
Thanx!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Probably the control module door locks and intermenent wipers and a couple of other things, I don't remember what all is on it but you can unplug it and send see what all quits. If it is your problem it is no longer available but there is a place in Florida that repairs them.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx
Do you have a link or name to the outfit in Fl?

·
Registered
261 Posts
ACS Module service if I remember correctly I am on the road now and won't be home for a couple of weeks, should be able to find them on the internet they are in Florida Jacksonville I think but I have sent a couple of different modules to them and had great luck. They are good to talk to you on the phone or email to try and help you get things figured out.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,493 Posts
Central timer module, CTM. It may have a part number sticker on it.

As far as other things, have you load tested the batteries separately and disconnected? If yo can not load test them get the m fully charged (running or charger) then check voltage in both, then leave totally disconnected and separate over night and check for voltage drop differences the next day. If one has a drop it is bad with a short inside. That causes the spark and goes dead. If bad replace both.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes - I went about this backwards and bought brand new batteries, and all charged all up for a couple of days.
I presumed one of the old batteries went bad so I bought two brand new ones. (they were 5 yrs old)
I can hear and feel the CTM clicking when I hook up the Batts.
It does not make it guilty, but it is drawing my att.
Also-I have had other problems with dash lights , erroneous CEL errors, for a long time.
I have removed the instrument bezel and sort of can see the thing now.
Does the whole dash need to be removed?
thanx in advance!

·
Registered
21,493 Posts
Have you ried pulling fuses to find the draw?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, every one of them, and no change ...Dodge wiring so SUCKS.
If I had nothing else to do I would just rip this apart like a Harley and redo it correctly

·
Registered
21,493 Posts
They are on Ebay or Car-part.com(wrecking yards) for 50 to 150 dollars.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How come my truck gets all these weird diseases?
Thanx
i will ck flea bay

·
Registered
21,493 Posts
Stuff happens. They are 20+ years old. A lot of issues are because somebody screwed up something and fowled the wiring over the years.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a pretty generic answer,!
No help at all.
I am the second ower and have owned it for over 18 years...
Rebuilt the engine cause the plastic oil squirter jets jumped out, installed the G56 cause of the OD problem with the NV.
Fixed their fuel system cause it was junk from the jump.
The endless little problems from steering, to headlight switches. There are so many little problems it would strain my brain to remember them all !.
I have Fixed and fixed every inbred, congenital, stupid, idiot dodge issue thus far. No ONE in their right mind will ever buy one of these if they knew what all is going to be wrong, and go wrong.
Ford and chevy are no better .
Yea I know the ram patriots will get up on their pulpit and say what a great truck it is.
But most people as you say have not owned these for 5 years or so.
They don't know the money trail left behind by it
These trucks always have their hand out for another 3 , 4, or 500 bucks.
In some cases thousands!
If Honda ever makes a one-ton I will go stand in line.

·
Registered
21,493 Posts
Exactly my point. itis worn out. Buy a newer truck or keep everything fresh and in good tight, greased shape..

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea , ok, there is only 270K on this one.
I will never make this mistake again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts