Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All mods are in my sig. How high should my egts run? How high is to high? What should I try to keep it below?

Keep in mind I tow heavy. I pull a 53' solid steel 3-car wedge trailer. My empty weight is 16,000 lbs. And loaded my gross weight is between 26-32,000.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
13-1400* for short bursts. No more than 1200* constant. Past that, the lower EGT's the better. These are all pre turbo measurements.

Reactions: HaulinMopars

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
Thats a lot of weight. Your "sustained" EGT's should never run any higher that 1250*. Thats to allow for gauge inaccuracy. :thumbsup:

Reactions: HaulinMopars

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
13-1400* for short bursts. No more than 1200* constant. Past that, the lower EGT's the better. These are all pre turbo measurements.
That's about what I've been doing and yes I have the probe in the manifold pre turbo.
Thats a lot of weight. Your "sustained" EGT's should never run any higher that 1250*. Thats to allow for gauge inaccuracy. :thumbsup:
Yeah it gets heavy sometimes but it pulls just fine. I actually never sustain more than about 1100 but it does like to spike on up to 1400 occasionally.
running those weights and more i ran around 1000 to 1100 when cruising.
Just cruising it stays well below 1000. It just like to climb and spike on long hard pulls.
holy crap y'all need to invest into a medium duty truck! haha!
Yeah a bigger truck would be nice but I've had a Kenworth T300 with a C7 CAT in it and they are to expensive to buy and maintain. And when you're not using it for work you really can't do much else with it. At least I can still drive my dually when I'm not working.

Thanks for everybodys help.

·
Registered
13,895 Posts
I have put over a 100k on 4 different trucks pullng those weights , along with a bunch of other hotshotters.
i dont doubt that one bit! i just look at it as these trucks were not designed to haul that much weight. not saying they cant do it but i would buying something that was prepared to take the abuse. not knocking anyone this is just my opinion. :thumbsup:

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Just slow down... I know of several hot shots that pull heavy loads and cleared 500K miles and never had issues with EGT's. Most don't tow any faster that 55-65 MPH period. I normally just grab a gear down kick the R's up to 2K and hold at see if the EGT's are going to hang or not. If not then I'll kick down another gear and do it again till the EGT's are controlled. Just like any other large over the road truck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
Just slow down... I know of several hot shots that pull heavy loads and cleared 500K miles and never had issues with EGT's. Most don't tow any faster that 55-65 MPH period. I normally just grab a gear down kick the R's up to 2K and hold at see if the EGT's are going to hang or not. If not then I'll kick down another gear and do it again till the EGT's are controlled. Just like any other large over the road truck. :thumbsup:
I agree 100%. The Cummins can pull far more than the Dodge 2500/3500 can but safety is priority number one. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.