Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe my 48re is starting to slip in first and second. Will that cause EGT's to be ~100-150* higher and boost a little lower? Also, I am concerned about injectors because every once in a while, I get a whiff of warm raw diesel from the engine hole or in the cab. Could the higher EGT's be caused by injector issues? No white smoke or rough idle. I can't say about power loss because of the tranny. I know the tranny has to be rebuilt, but should I spend the money to get the injectors tested because of the infrequent smell? :confused013:

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Start looking for a leak first just to rule it out before you start to spend some cash. What are you running the smarty at? How high are the egts you're concerned about?

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
As in boost leak? All is good. Smarty is sw7 or 9 (not by accident) The egts are about 750-800* instead of 600-650 at cruise and they will run a good bit higher than normal (at WOT) if your not careful. Only change was tranny started slipping.

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
Yeah, slipping trans will drive the EGT's up. Ask me how I know......:banghead:

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats what I was wonderinig. Im not a tranny guy. Burnt clutches I presume?

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
Thats what I was wonderinig. Im not a tranny guy. Burnt clutches I presume?
Yeah, thats the direct clutch pack. First thing I noticed was 100-150 more EGT's in conditions that did not warrant it. Thought I had ba dinjectors till ti quit shifting into drive.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, thats the direct clutch pack. First thing I noticed was 100-150 more EGT's in conditions that did not warrant it. Thought I had ba dinjectors till ti quit shifting into drive.
EXACTLY what im getting. Now just have to find the smell...

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks Guys.

Going in the shop Monday for a tranny rebuild and a new TC after I change the license plate lights that are out (that a friendly state trooper told me were out in the middle of a thunderstorm). :nadkick:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts