Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my new gauges and have been watching my egts and they seem to be running too high. The gauge is showing up to 1400 at times on a stock truck with little to no load on it. I wanted to find out what other people are getting on stock trucks with the 6.7

·
Registered
838 Posts
1400 means you are going into regen. it's normal, i still do'nt see how it can be safe, but every 6.7 does it with the dpf still on.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Yep that is a normal regen temp. When my truck was stock I could hit 1500 going up a hill during regen.

·
Registered
480 Posts
mine will hit like 1480 or so with the edge and mp8 when i am hard in it.. is that ok? i have dpf and egr delete.. s&b intake ..... is that ok or even around right?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I don't have a 6.7, but out of curiosity, are those temps pre or post turbo?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I don't have a 6.7, but out of curiosity, are those temps pre or post turbo?[/QUOTE

Pre turbo. I am getting the same temps often!! My truck will see 900 deg. just driving down the road in front of my house. These 6.7's run HOT!!!!!

One other thing I noticed was that my truck went into regen and then about 2 minutes after it went out my egt's were through th roof

Chris

·
Registered
352 Posts
I wonder what the long term wear is going to be on the turbos running those kinds of temperatures.

·
Registered
733 Posts
My EGT's were like that when my truck was stock. 1300+ when it went into Regen and then 1000-1100 durning driving, and 1200+ while towing. With the mods I have now, I'm around 680 at 70mph, and while towing a 28ft trailer at 11,400lbs I'm around 850-900. I can't even hit 1300 anymore :thumbsup

Gotta get rid of that DPF and that delvish EGR to get the good low EGT temps for the life of your engine. My 02.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Just the electronically operated actuator for the VGT is water cooled, but supposedly the turbine is made of inconel and is super heat resistant.

·
Registered
213 Posts
every wheel i have ever heard of was made out of inconel hell i had a set of turbo headers on a 383 sbf made out of inconel tubing expensive as hell but no cracks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the help. iwas starting to think that there was something wrong with the probe or gauge because eveyone i talked to said that was way too high.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
The 6.7 turbos are water cooled as well as the usual oil lubricated - not sure what that means for long term wear.
only the portion of the electronics are water cooled. None of the Turbo housing is water cooled.

·
700hp Club
2,196 Posts
My EGT's were like that when my truck was stock. 1300+ when it went into Regen and then 1000-1100 durning driving, and 1200+ while towing. With the mods I have now, I'm around 680 at 70mph, and while towing a 28ft trailer at 11,400lbs I'm around 850-900. I can't even hit 1300 anymore :thumbsup

Gotta get rid of that DPF and that delvish EGR to get the good low EGT temps for the life of your engine. My 02.
X2:thumbsup

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
From examining a spare turbo it appears that the water path goes across the housing rather than straight through the electronics so even if the primary purpose of the water is to cool the electronics the housing has water flowing through it from one side to the other so there has to be some cooling benefit to the entire assembly.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Nice work Slag.

·
Premium Member
8,550 Posts
with my water meth I wont see over 1450 but with out I have seen over 1800

·
Registered
186 Posts
Boy I'm glad somebody started this thread, cause I was wondering the same thing. When I installed my Edgew/att. and saw the egt's I got scared. When just running around it was 900-1000 and when in regen it was anywhere from 1100 to 1400. I thought maybe I installed the probe wrong or something. By the way what is the regular Engine temp? Or a good running engine temp. The reason I ask is because occasionally it will hit 210 degrees. And the preset edge alarm goes off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts