Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the new turbo 62/71/13 HTT turbo, now at idle the truck EGT's show 550, I barely step on the throttle and I am hitting 1200 so easy!! With stock turbo I never had these temps at idle (250-300), I really had to hit the throttle hard to get close to 1150.:thud:
I did have to rotate the outer housing so the oil drain tube would clear, i followed the indstruction to a tee though.
I marked the housing before the move, and after the move, total travel from original is less than 3/4 of inch. Would this be causing my problem?

Any one have any suggestions?

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,907 Posts
have you checked for boost leaks? are you still building to your previous boost? I would hope it would be more boost with an upgraded charger. My guess is on boost leak as it will still dump as much fuel in as throttle demands and will skyrocket EGT's as a result. Lots of black smoke?

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,907 Posts
Intercooler boots will blow off at little more than stock boost on the older trucks too, so that would point even more to a boost leak. Probably after you hammered down on her the first time.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes lots of black smoke and the boost will hit aound 40, but I live in a residentail area, so I cant really get it ont eh highway to open it up yet, hwta is wierd though I let the truck idle for 10 minutes after the drive and EGT's are at 500+. I have no I dea but i will look for a boost tube loose or blown off first.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just pulled the Pyrometer out of the exhaust and it says it is 300 degrees, but I am touching it with my hands and it is not haot at all!! What's up with that? could i have damaged it some how during the install?

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,907 Posts
added resistance will cause a false hot temp reading. Did you splice it at all when you installed it? Is it possibly pinched anywhere?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MAybe I dont know it seems to be working now though! I will just keep an eye on it and see what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts