Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any info or sugestions on lowering EGT's on my 04 5.9?? I am running a bullydog power pup with afe stage dos and a magnaflow exaust. I can get 1200 deg at 70 mph with a good hard start on the extreme setting and i can get there at about 80 mph on the performance setting. Taking it to the track and getting a good base line run is out until I figure this out. Any ideas ?? :CRY::$::thud:

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
An '04 non 600? If so whats your boost level at WOT?

If it's around 25psi install a boost elbow for the wastegate. The boost will get up into the 30psi range which will help lower the EGTs.

MikeyB

·
Registered
674 Posts
Any info or sugestions on lowering EGT's on my 04 5.9?? I am running a bullydog power pup with afe stage dos and a magnaflow exaust. I can get 1200 deg at 70 mph with a good hard start on the extreme setting and i can get there at about 80 mph on the performance setting. Taking it to the track and getting a good base line run is out until I figure this out. Any ideas ?? :CRY::$::thud:
where is the probe if it is pre turbo it should be good up to 1400 deg a stock truck will hit 1400 deg. dont sweat it. if the probe is after the turbo i would suggest moving it to pre turbo to get a more accurate reading.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
I thought they didn't make the heat improvements until the 04.5 motor...

to the OP, fill out your sig so we know more about your truck... we also need to know if its a 04 or a 04.5

·
Registered
182 Posts
Took me a while to find a post like this, but I just installed a set of digital guages EGT and BOOST, the PPE isn't installed b/c it's being updated. I went up this mild hill about a mile long with the cruise set at 60mpg boost 12-14 and egt's 1250ish+. WTF... Is that too high. Whats it going to do with the PPE and bass boat? melt...
The most boost that I have seen is 34psi.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
Took me a while to find a post like this, but I just installed a set of digital guages EGT and BOOST, the PPE isn't installed b/c it's being updated. I went up this mild hill about a mile long with the cruise set at 60mpg boost 12-14 and egt's 1250ish+. WTF... Is that too high. Whats it going to do with the PPE and bass boat? melt...
The most boost that I have seen is 34psi.
stock 04.5 motor... sounds about right... the ppe and the bass boat will add to it... while I haven't heard of any stock motors melting themselves I went with a Smarty Jr for a reason... lower EGT's.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is my motor going to melt with the PPE? Also does it make any difference as to wether the probe is on the left or right side of the manifold. its right above the flange that bolts to the turbo. right or left??? and why if theres a difference

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
There are many numbers running around for what a 3rd gen, 04.5+, can handle in terms of heat... Nothing I found was definitive, so you would probably be safe not letting it get any hotter than it got stock... But IMHO thats still really hot but nothing will lower the numbers or keep them at a safe level like a Smarty, Jr or Sr.... IMHO the Smarty Jr on SW #1 or #2 is the best towing module there is, #1 is 40hp, large EGT reduction and NO extra fuel...

I still think that 1250* continous, and 1350* max is a good goal, but stock programing on a 04.5+ goes way above that... 1400* is pretty easy to hit stock when towing, is it safe, probably since Cummins does know what they are doing, but I still dont like it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts