1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
What is the recommended EGT at shut down for 2019 6.7 HO
My old 2004 I always shut down at 300 degrees or less

Ram says it can't hurt itself, but I'm not confident in that.

I monitor the EGT's by way of OBD link that works great

any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
192 Posts
Gonna go out on that proverbial limb and suggest that the vast majority of 19 HO operators do not monitor EGT. Notwithstanding, the Diesel Supplement does contain a chart that specifies idle time (0 to 5 min) to shutdown based on vehicle loading.

·
Premium Member
15,252 Posts
Do you live right on an off ramp or exit and immediately shut the truck off and run for the house? If not no idle time needed. By the time you get to a fuel station that is easy on\off of high speed road EGT's are cool enough to shut down. The 6.7's don't run a lot of EGT temp anyway, and unless you are tuned once the load is off the engine they cool fast.

300 is excessive cool anyway and would not do that on an emissions 6.7, 450 degrees is plenty to shut off at.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you

My concern is for the turbo. I don't want to COKE the oil in it. The turbos are still oil cooled and lubed aren't they?

Most of the time by the time I get home the EGT'S are running low 500's 15 minute idle brings them down to 300

·
Premium Member
15,252 Posts
Even 500 is not an issue, the turbo is oill cooled and lubed as well a coolant cooling circuit. Mine is never that high but it is tuned and deleted unlike a stoich rich stock engine.

How and where are you reading EGT?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am using an OBD link which reads all the info that is available through the OBD II
the #1 EGT sensor is just post turbo, to the best of my acquired information.
there are 3 other elsewhere along the exhaust. the other on of note is #3 which is at the DPF. During regen you can see that one spike to 1000 degrees.

the other 2 vary around the temp on #1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts